Elmers Wood Filler warning

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up going to Menards and they had it. I'm not sure why HD stopped carrying it. It had to have been a best seller in my area because I bought so much of it!

This could be a regional decision. The Lowe's in my area told me they wouldn't be getting any more of it. Most box stores like these tend to carry the same stuff but I also know they sometimes carry what sells best in their area. I mean, why should they stock something that isn't selling? It's good to know it's not being discontinued after all.

OK, we can all relax now. I just got a reply from Elmer's and here's what they had to say...

Dear Gary,

Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler is not being discontinued. Home Depot has simply decided to stop sell that formula.

Regards,

Brian Rumschlag
Consumer Response Analyst

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 6:00 PM
To: Comments
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Comments from Elmers.com

I suppose Lowe's is following HD's lead on this but as I mentioned before, ACE still has it on the shelves.

thats funny, i e mailed them too and here is what they said;

Dear Jason,

Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler is not being discontinued. Home Depot has simply decided to stop selling that formula.

Regards,

Brian Rumschlag
Consumer Response Analyst

I knew what the answer was after the 3rd post as Lowes and Home Despot have been pulling this crap off in the North Florida area for years.
You can buy a product and look for it 4 month's later to purchase more, and it was switched out for another brand (Think Kobalt at Lowes):mad:
One store recently ate their own ass when no one would buy some expensive yellow boutique drywall...the huge stack just sat there until they removed it.

Last edited:
I gotta question the marketing hack that decided to sell yellow drywall in Florida, after the years of problems with sulfur-contaminated Chinese drywall in the south last decade. Anything the slightest bit unusual in drywall these days gets redlined!

I wish you'd posted this a week sooner. I'm guessing then that I should return the gray tube of white Elmer's wood filler I bought last weekend. I didn't notice any tubs in the HD aisle they pointed me to. Just these dark grey tubes.

I wish you'd posted this a week sooner. I'm guessing then that I should return the gray tube of white Elmer's wood filler I bought last weekend. I didn't notice any tubs in the HD aisle they pointed me to. Just these dark grey tubes.

Gray? I know it comes in assorted shades but I'm not sure I ever saw the gray stuff. I get the tub and it's usually a sand color. Here's the Elmer's link.
https://www.elmers.com/product-search-results/wood+filler

OH, you said white in a gray tube....duh!

Ah, looks like I got the Wood Filler Max. Does anyone have an opinion on the max before I return it?

So, before I start returning and buying new stuff, are the pictures Gary and Old Dude posted the same thing, or is the "Stainable" stuff the one to avoid?

Ah, looks like I got the Wood Filler Max. Does anyone have an opinion on the max before I return it?

So, before I start returning and buying new stuff, are the pictures Gary and Old Dude posted the same thing, or is the "Stainable" stuff the one to avoid?

The Stainable version dries extremely hard. Prolly better for heavy duty construction repair. The tub I posted is the standard filler that's much easier to sand. Can also be thinned down to use as a filler coat for balsa.

The bad version that I bought said that it could hold nails on the top of the tub. It was also very grainy. It appeared that they just added some sort of hard grit to it.

The tub I posted is from 2009-2010 and may no longer be found on the shelves. From what I've been told it doesn't work quite as well as the original formula but it was the recommended product at the time I bought it. It works okay for me. Dunno about the new stuff on the shelves tho.

A while back I tried spot putty for spirals and have gone with that ever since.
Very little shrinkage and can always add more.
Icing was similar but was 2-part mix PIA and wasn't in a throw away tube.

Packing labels eliminates all of that BS! :rolleyes:
AND they don't change the formula for packing labels! :y:
Paper and glue!:p

Boom! Ace IS the place.
I really want to thank 3boydad for starting this thread and everyone else for pitching in before I made a very frustrating mistake. Now all I have to do is sand the primer back off my nosecone and figure out how to water this stuff down properly. I'm too excited to begin.

I was looking for this stuff. I know this is an old thread, but I found some on AMAZON. $5 for 4 oz

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YT3WX0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I haven't looked but I think you can find larger tubs but it will cost more. BTW Gary thanks for the post of the picture. I forgot what it looked liked its been so long. I almost bough the stainable stuff....

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Back