NERRF 8 - June 22 - 24, 2012

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately I won't be able to make this launch. I'll be in Houston on business.

Have fun! Any big flights planned?

Gary
Will you be flying some of the new PR kits NERRF? I sure like you Blast Caps. I now have them on 5 rockets.
gp

FlsiKits will be there with a 10th Anniversary Cake that will knock yer socks off! :)

We'll also have range box stickers for the event and other fun stuff.

Keep watch over the NERRF web site for NERRF-8 T-Shirts too!

Gary
Will you be flying some of the new PR kits NERRF? I sure like you Blast Caps. I now have them on 5 rockets.
gp

Gar, Not sure yet there may be something but nothing is definite at this point.

Glad you like the Blastcaps... I'll have plenty on hand for N8 as well.

OK, because I can, I'm calling for a Wildman JR (or any other of the 2.1 inch wildman rockets) drag race. One rack per & we can do multiple racks in a heat form if we need to. I'll even do a discount on the motor, the more wild the bigger the discount. PM me with your motor selection and I'll have it for the field. Lets say early(er) on Saturday, say 11 AM because I'm gonna need a call-in cause I'm gonna abuse mine

rick

Im in for NERRF 8, My L2 attempt and that drag race. should be fun :dark:

Not to rain on anyones parade but from past experiences the drag races usually bind up the launch, Arranging one for the Peak time of 11:00AM on Saturday may not be the best time..

I'd say 1st launch on Sunday, This way all the participants can take their time loading there rockets onto the pads before the range even opens...

Just a suggestion

Wasn't there a problem one or two NERRF's ago where they did not allow drag races? I'd hate to see an entire rack be held up waiting for FAA clearance during prime time.

That was because of concern of it welding the relays closed causing instant ignition if the circuit was turned on.
People were holding the button down waaay too long on our wireless system.

We have fixed the problem so all should be good.

JD

Wasn't there a problem one or two NERRF's ago where they did not allow drag races? I'd hate to see an entire rack be held up waiting for FAA clearance during prime time.

Like JD says, the problem is fixed.

Note however that there will be a restriction of 1 rack at a time (4 rockets max) in drag races at NERRF.

That said, game on! Rick, if I can stuff a tracker in my Wildman Jr before NERRF, I have a 6 grain CTI case that just needs to be stuffed. Too bad there is no VMAX or white thunder loads.... though the red looks nice :)

I'll be there, may look to go for my mile high with my Darkstar DD from the Black Saturday Sale. I am also volunteering time to work the event as well.

I have a 54mm minimum diameter build I'd love to fly on a 4 grain motor (5 would come too close to the waiver), but I'm a bit nervous about the trees around the field. My Thor was stuck in them for a month after NERRF 2...

Last edited:
The trees along the river are gone, most of them any how. The only cluster of trees to worry about is out about 2500 ft or more.

JD

I have a 54mm minimum diameter build I'd love to fly on a 4 grain motor (5 would come too close to the waiver), but I'm a bit nervous about the trees around the field. My Thor was stuck in them for a month after NERRF 2...

The trees along the river are gone, most of them any how. The only cluster of trees to worry about is out about 2500 ft or more.

JD

Thanks - wasn't aware of that. The fiberglass pole definitely came in handy back then.

Dan

Your post confused me. I am also a Dan from PA building a 54mm minimum diameter that I am planning to fly on a 4 grain motor. I had to re-convince myself that I'm not making the drive to NERRF...

Your post confused me. I am also a Dan from PA building a 54mm minimum diameter that I am planning to fly on a 4 grain motor. I had to re-convince myself that I'm not making the drive to NERRF...

Uh-oh, hope this doesn't turn into some kind of time travel paradox...

When/where are you planning on flying? I remember reading your build thread. To make this all a bit more strange, I'm using blue tube as well - albeit as a mandrel.

A couple of clarification questions. I haven't been to NERRF since #6 so I don't know if it has changed but is a METRA membership still needed for this event? If so, is there a way to check if my membership is still good? Also my little brother is 15 (no cert) and he is only flying LPR. Does he have to register? Thirdly, my dad wants to fly this year (no cert level most likely LPR), does he need to register? I am assuming yes but just wanted to clarify. And last but not least, do I need to contact anyone in advanced if I am looking to do a lvl 2 cert test? Thanks in advance.

Matt

METRA membership is good for 1 calendar year: Jan to Dec
The NERRF planning team is hashing out the registration details and can be found on the web page:
https://www.nerrf.org/
or
FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/NERRF/340449942687748

AS for the Cert test and flight:
Contact either someone planning on attending that is: either a TRA prefect or someone that has a NAR cert 2 or higher that has access to the exam.
Depending if you are TRA or NAR.

JD

A couple of clarification questions. I haven't been to NERRF since #6 so I don't know if it has changed but is a METRA membership still needed for this event? If so, is there a way to check if my membership is still good? Also my little brother is 15 (no cert) and he is only flying LPR. Does he have to register? Thirdly, my dad wants to fly this year (no cert level most likely LPR), does he need to register? I am assuming yes but just wanted to clarify. And last but not least, do I need to contact anyone in advanced if I am looking to do a lvl 2 cert test? Thanks in advance.

Matt

Does the rule of one job per attendance day apply for people who are doing cert attempts at NERRF?

Back