Estes E12 now available

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donaldsrockets

Reaction score
I just checked the Estes website earlier and it appears that the long awaited E12 motors are finally available. And in all delays - 0, 4, 6 and 8.

However they are listed at $53.99 - same as the E9's.

I look forward to giving these motors a try when I can get my hands on some, either from HL or my local hobby shop.:D

Good Grief..

My scratch builts I fly on E-9s are all lost....

I should lose EVEN MORE NOW..

YIPPPPIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I cant wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Pretty much everything I've been building lately has been E9 capable. I'm truly looking forward to having another bullet in the figurative gun, but not at $53 a pack. If they hit the shelves at Hobby Lobby, I'll be flying them. :cool: If not, not.

I had already planned to stop by the LHS tomorrow and see if they had any of the Pro Series II kits in. Now I have yet another thing to look for. I've been eagerly awaiting the E12. :)

Jim Z

:pop: Anyone know where to get the data for these engines? I want to use these in Rocksim.

Last edited:
Ah yea!!! Just saw the nearest HL carrying the new Pro Series II and composite engines...now just waiting for those E12s to be available there...

FC

PS Addendum, if you order 3 packs or more, you start with a discount of $20 per pack. An order of 3 packs of E12-4s results in 101.97 total (shipping and taxes included to TX)...about 11.33 per engine.

Last edited:
Ah yea!!! Just saw the nearest HL carrying the new Pro Series II and composite engines...now just waiting for those E12s to be available there...

FC

PS Addendum, if you order 3 packs or more, you start with a discount of $20 per pack. An order of 3 packs of E12-4s results in 101.97 total (shipping and taxes included to TX)...about 11.33 per engine.

I'm paying about $12+ a pack at Hobby Lobby for E9s. I'll wait and see what kind of prices they'll have with the 40% off coupon. :wink:

I'm paying about $12+ a pack at Hobby Lobby for E9s. I'll wait and see what kind of prices they'll have with the 40% off coupon. :wink:

If they get them. I've noticed there are certain engines HL doesn't carry.

FC

I believe that the price shown in the website includes the Hazmat shipping charge. The fact is, if you order just one pack, that's probably what you'll end up paying.

Note the information in the yellow box:
"ATTENTION: Pricing includes additional shipping and handling, quantity discounts are available and located in green boxes on the engine page."
"...includes additional shipping and handling..." That's the reason for the quoted price.

Also note that you'll save money by ordering at least three packs. (Green boxes at the top of the page.) https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/engines/e-engines

This pricing strategy is going to turn people off. Better to list the price of the motors alone and have a red box that says hazmat shipping applies.

I picked up one pack of each (E12-0, -4, -6, -8) locally. Will not fly until 5/27 at the earliest.

They use Yellow plugs (you know, the ones with the end tab that says A8 B4). Have not actually measured the nozzle exit, throat and depth.

It's interesting that these have higher max thrust (33.39n) than the AT E12 (18.3n) and the same average thrust (11.2n). Pretty good for a black powder motor.

...Fudd

I got mine locally from Hobby People.

Hobbylinc may say "not in stock", but you have to understand (as I have said MANY time before) that people place orders and they get backordered. if a case of motors arrives, it will go to fill the back orders first and ONLY if there are leftovers will the available qty get updated to "in stock" on the website. So, if you sit and wait to place an order until they show as "sitting there gathering dust and in stock", you may wait for a long time, while the rest of the customers who ordered them get them delivered.

"Not in Stock
past due from manufacturer" :(

"Not in Stock
past due from manufacturer" :(

Hobbylinc FTL ! Will condede that I think they will restock on this unlike the AT sku's they leave the discounted pricing up on without restocking.

Will see this cheaper eventually from ACS Belleville, ect. - but they have nothing else I wish to order with HAZMAT.

RedArrow has them today below MSRP so not $15 or anything but LANDED like $20 cheaper - will have these ride along with my pending order !

Kenny

[video=youtube_share;FuLTvJe-f7E]https://youtu.be/FuLTvJe-f7E[/video]
I launch my Estes Big Daddy with one of them new Estes E12-4 motors. At the end I made the comment "It might land in the woods." It did land in a tree on the edge of the woods, but it was low enough that standing on top of my launch pad, and attaching a hook to the end of my longest rod, I was able to pull it down :)

I got to see a LOC Starburst on a pair of E-12s today. Absolutely awesome. Nice slow liftoff, and the motors just kept burning. I'm going to have to build a cluster just for these things, I think.

Maybe that Stovi I keep not buying.

Mine arrived Thursday. Got to fly one today - it was not a good idea. Do NOT fly the E12 in the Maxi Alpha III - the fins are two thin and the fin flutter caused the rocket to spiral all the way up. It did survive the flight, but I don't plan to repeat the experiment. From now on, these go in the Big Daddy or the Maxi Alpha (the one with the paper laminated balsa fins).

Well, I was able to go to HobbyLobby today, and I was so hoping that they would have the E12's, but no joy. :( I had to settle for a pack of E9-6's. Oh well. Hobbylinc, here I come... :caffeine:

Last time I was at my local Hobby Lobby, not only did I not find any E12's but I didn't see any shelf labels for them either so I'm not sure if they even plan to stock these. No big deal though, I walked out with an Estes G80-7T for 40% off instead.:D

I do have some on order with my local hobby shop so I'm just waiting for them to come in. I also plan to try the E12-0 in some of my 24mm oddrocs - should make for some fun flights.

Today I CHAD staged a Mean Machine E12-0 to E12-8. Wow! It was part of a 5'+ drag race and I forgot to video it's launch:( I like E12's.;)

Today I CHAD staged a Mean Machine E12-0 to E12-8. Wow!

That sounds like fun! I'll have to try that sometime when I'm flying on a big field.

I just got a package of E12-6's in. Now to figure out what to fly them in. :)

Jim Z

I also flew my Vagabond on an E12-6 today at the same launch that Derek is referring to above. Nice..... About the same altitude as that same rocket on an E9 (AltimeterTwo aboard) but with a good 40+ MPH higher top speed. Much brisker climbout. I like it, too....

Back