Paint Failure Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Some of you know about my relationship with paint. In an undisguised attempt at sharing in my misery, I thought I'd start this gallery. I don't want to feel alone! I'll start by sharing some of my favorite failures. I hate paint!

executioner_wrinkles3.jpg

116_nose_cone.jpg

102_bugs.jpg

Attachments

• 150_peel.jpg
    150_peel.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 134_peel.jpg
    134_peel.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 83
Proper PREP work is Key to a good finish..

Sand. Prime..Sand.. Prime...

Try using white primer as a base..

Tom

A Paint Failure Gallery...REALLY????
Good grief.

Spent a very long time doing a series of articles on the subject for our clubs newsletter...was deemed good enough to become part of the Clubs website library. www.narhams.org Tech-tips 002-005 work through all the stages from bare wood & cardboard to hand lettering & detail brush painting. Free downloadable so they can be kept handy during experimental work;)

One of my favorite expressions to New Rocketeer classes is: "Anyone can Learn to produce a babies butt smooth finish from a Rattle can of Paint". This is a completely True Statement. ANYONE.

Your hatred of painting I believe says more about your interest in building and flying then the inability to finish.
We all make individual decisions on the amount of time & effort we are willing to invest to create a "DECENT LOOKING" finish on our models.
NO One does perfect work.. NO NOT ONE! we all settle for or on a given degree of goodness when it comes to our model finishes.
Looking at your 5 examples I only see 1 possibly 2 that are really "Paint" failures at least one of which could have been prevented by just reading the lables on the materials Used. Truthfully the other three look like stuff we all do or have happen occasionally...especially the bugs thing... I rolled when looking at that one. Then can by the way be compounded out:) Cheers!

Last edited:
Man, if I had known, I had a great picture of incompatible paint issues just 3 days ago. I've had some epic disasters. You live and learn, or hope you do. Just last night I had a nightmare I primed a bunch of things with polyester primer but forgot to add the catalyst so the paint would never harden. I've learned to always do a test panel (pvc pipe) of what I'm spraying to check for issues before I do it to the rocket. But I don't always do that... hence the disaster 3 days ago with crazing (is that the word?) anyway, same thing as your picture 1.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One man's paint failure is another man's *"Oeuvre d'art"

- It's all good - :D

*"work of art"

artistic_rocket.jpg

Jim... Was that Mach 2 ?;)

I had a phase where I launched my 2" shocklet on L730's. Did it about - hmm - maybe six times. Each time I would have to repaint the nosecone. Eventually, I found high temperature epoxy so I could stop repainting. The L730 would take it just to Mach 2.

Jim

One of my favorite expressions to New Rocketeer classes is: "Anyone can Learn to produce a babies butt smooth finish from a Rattle can of Paint". This is a completely True Statement. ANYONE.

Sure anyone can but I have better things to do with my time. Sand, prime, fill...prime, sand, fill...whatever. Eventually I hit the, "I am going to fly this in muddy cornfields and it is going to impact the Earth (on a good flight) at roughly 20 fps so screw it." I mean hey...

[YOUTUBE]fQMfN0UFqms[/YOUTUBE]

qquake2 come fly with us sometime. You won't be the only one with ugly paint jobs if I am there (along with a few other miscreants).

-Dave

Sometimes paint failure can be beautiful! Depends how it happens ...

Jim

All I can say to that is....:y:

I've gone mach 2.1 and have never had that happen. That's the beauty of ceramic paint........That must have been one sweet flight!

All I can say to that is....:y:

I've gone mach 2.1 and have never had that happen. That's the beauty of ceramic paint........That must have been one sweet flight!

What ceramic paint do you use?

Yes, the 6XL case in a 2" rocket is a lot of fun. The first time I did an L730, I was convinced I would destroy the rocket. The trip out to the pad was kind of like walking out to a firing squad. Another time, Dan Stroud helped me load the rocket, and that was cool because it was his Mach Madness flight in the Discovery Channel shows that got me into rocketry in the first place. Most of those flights went to about 20K, and probably would have gone higher if not for the paint thing.

Jim

This is a first for me. I painted a base coat of gloss white on my Mega-Mosquito. I was going to shoot my first color coat so I inspected the surface for any obvious defect.
Norman1.jpg
Upon closer inspection:
Norman2.jpg
Yep, bird poop.

This is a first for me. I painted a base coat of gloss white on my Mega-Mosquito. I was going to shoot my first color coat so I inspected the surface for any obvious defect.
Norman1.jpg
Upon closer inspection:
Norman2.jpg
Yep, bird poop.

:rofl: I guess I shouldn't complain about my crappy paint jobs anymore.

I've had my share on gnats on my paint jobs! Sand 'em down and touch 'em up! :smile:

Back