Rocket Tracking for Beginners

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoehahn

Reaction score
I need to get a tracking system this year, As im doing a few MD projects and pushing higher and higher with other projects. Im wondering what options are available, and what is the best value? I need it to fit in a 29mm tube. I have looked at Big red bee, Walston systems, etc. Im assuming i need a HAM radio license, any other requirements or procedures?

Any input is appreciated.

I have a couple of cheaper methods.. Great way to start.. with motors under K power... Im sure K powerd flights would ALMOST NEED to have tracking..

Take an estes yellow motor mount tube, Block off an end, fill the other with RED chaulk dust refill $1.87 at any home impovement store, and tape the other end so your left with an opening.

After ejection you will see big red PUFFS of power as the rocket buffets in the wind on the way down.. Very VERY easy to see at high altitudes.. Just be carefull when retrieving the rocket. The last person who fetched my rocket looked like a red smurf when he returned....

I also use table skirt found at any party store.. Its flame resistant to boot.. This stuff is like christmas tree tinsel and at altitude.. Its like a twinkiling star.. It weighs Nothing and a few strands tied to the nose cose does the trick.

Total cost.. 10 bux..

Give em a shot...
https://www.stumpsparty.com/party/Silver-Metallic-Table-Skirting.cfm

tbsmetsil.jpg

Take a look at the TeleMetrum and Telemini https://auric.gag.com/ as you will get a dual-deploy altimeter capable of telemetry downlink as well as a 70cm tracker. In the case of the TeleMetrum, it also contains a GPS and gives you the GPS data as part of the telemetry stream.

I have a BigRedBee transmitter and it works well also but considering that a Telemini gives you the tracker + altimeter for $125 I think it is a better deal. One upside for the Bee is that there is a good performing 900MHz GPS version that doesn't require an amateur license. With that being said, it REALLY isn't hard at all these days to pass a technician exam to be legal using a 70cm tracker.

If you want something really compact, check out the XLF transmitters from LL Electronics. They're compatible with most any (as far as I know) receiver, and are very small. They are custom made to your frequency wants, and can be made with non-ham freq's. The XLF 6v that I have is no more than 5/8" diameter x 1" long, minus antenna. I'll post a pic in the morning.

My opinion--bite the bullet; get your Ham license and the BRB radio tracker to start. Totally easy for both the Ham test and electronics set up before the first flight. You can find cheap Radio Shack compact receivers on eBay all day long. Only upgrade receivers if you decide to move to GPS tracking. For my part 80% of my flights I don't see and am thankful I have a tracker. (Knock on wood) I haven't lost a rocket in 8+ years.

Good advice - and the approach I am pursuing. BRB appears to be very flexible. I am taking the FCC exam this weekend, already bought a Kenwwod receiver that even supports APRS on eBay for less than $200, and I hope to order the BRB transmitter as soon as I am licensed. I have some rockets that I really want to fly on larger motors, but don't want to risk loosing my rocket, Featherweight altimeter, and RMS motor. I figure finding one rocket that otherwise would be lost means that I break even.

As others have said, go ahead and get your ham license. All you need for what you want to do in rocket tracking is the Technician license. There are a few options.

1. If you like the idea of taking a short class to prep for the test, ask a ham in your area or contact one of the clubs nearby. There are likely more than one group close by offering a class based around one of the popular study guides. Typcially you just pay for the book. They will also help you find a test session. There is likely one or more a month in your area. Also, som clubs will schedule tests on demand. I took my Amateur Extra exam a couple of years ago through the Denver Amateur Radio Club by calling a scheduling a session that fit my schedule. Very nice folks.

2. If you don't want to take the class, just get a study guide and read through it and take the test on you own time table. The books typcially have the question pool and brief explanations as to why the answer is what it is.

3. My personal approach, since I have a technical background, was to read the freely available online question pools. The actual exams are drawn from these pools so once you can answer these specific questions you can pass the exam. There are free exam generators as well so after reading through the questions once you can just drill the exams until you have it.

You can search the net for "ham question pool", "ham exam", etc. to find plenty of free resources to prepare for the test. Here are some examples. The test itself is typically $5-$15, check with your local administrator.

Question pools:
https://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=349
https://www.hamelmer.com/

Practice exams:
https://www.eham.net/exams/

Study guide:
https://www.hamelmer.com/Tech/Technician.html

Last edited:
As far as equipment goes, I already had a RX w/o APRS decoding, I didn't want to connect it to a PC to lug around, and I wanted to save a few dollars so I opted for the BRB high power 70cm TX without GPS. I had no problem tracking down my Blackhawk 38 2.3 miles away after a 12,844 foot flight.

If you have the money, there are off the shelf RXs that will decode the APRS packets containing the GPS info sent out by the GPS enabled BRB and give you distance and direction information very easily. It is a slick setup but would have added a few hundred dollars to my initial investment and I just didn't think it was necessary.

I have been using this system for 9 years. It may be caveman style by some standards but: when I get a beep I have always, always found my rocket.

The Comm-Spec unit does not need any license in the 218-219 band [also has the the 222-223 band in same unit] it is for falcons and is rarely used by rocket guys. Many other company transmitters will work with this unit including the LLC.
At LDRS there were several rockets on the same freq. in other bands! For what ever reason there were many issues. with GPS also . I had no problem on the 219.00 band. I was probably the only one on it.[ now I've exposed my secret]

It can be had for 250.00 for the receiver and 99-125 for transmitter.

The Marshal Scout[transmitter] is 125.00 and antenna is only 7in. long. Range of 40 miles and battery life of 42 days.

https://marshallradio.com/en/north-american-falconry-products/itemlist/category/73-transmitters

https://www.com-spec.com/rocket/index.html

Last edited:
I have been using this system for 9 years. It may be caveman style by some standards but: when I get a beep I have always, always found my rocket.

The Comm-Spec unit does not need any license in the 218-219 band [also has the the 222-223 band in same unit] it is for falcons and is rarely used by rocket guys. Many other company transmitters will work with this unit including the LLC.
At LDRS there were several rockets on the same freq. in other bands! For what ever reason there were many issues. with GPS also . I had no problem on the 219.00 band. I was probably the only one on it.[ now I've exposed my secret]

The Marshal Scout[transmitter] is 125.00 and antenna is only 7in. long. Range of 40 miles and battery life of 42 days.

https://marshallradio.com/en/north-american-falconry-products/itemlist/category/73-transmitters

If cost is an issue, over time I would go with a comspec. Especially if a ham is not an interest for you.

I have a r-300 because I wanted more frequencies. The 100 is a better deal if you don't need the extra frequencies. I also have one from ll electronics.

The R-100 has 50 channels is the falcon range 218-219 which do not require any license & are seldom used by rocketeers & 50 channels in the 222-223 normal range for a total of 100 channels.

You can get custom freq made by many transmitter makers for falcon freq. xuch as the Marshal and LLC. Run a google on[falcon tracking] all this stuff and compare. that's how I got all the facts. Most rocket guys are clueless on the real details, and use ham related tracking instead. If you have any radio already or know ham, that makes sense. If you are starting from zero, this can be a cheaper and simpler way to go.

The R-300 does 300 channels in the 222-223-224 range, but none in the falcon range. You need to read the manuals on all tracking items you are interested in to compare what they do & why they are different.
Also you cannot get transmitters in the falcon range from Comm-Spec any more, I just tried 2 weeks ago. But they are availble from numerous other sources such as the previously mentioned Marshall.

I posted the links above to navigate you there.

Picture 7.png

Picture 12.png

Last edited:
I was also wondering the same, how to track the motor at the sky. I was thinking to make a tube and add inside it fuel for smoke, but i afraid cause of fire.... Any other idea ?

I was also wondering the same, how to track the motor at the sky. I was thinking to make a tube and add inside it fuel for smoke, but i afraid cause of fire.... Any other idea ?

As a previous poster suggested: add in a pile of line chalk. You will certainly see that!

Bob DeHate showed me the Comm-Spec 100 unit this past weekend. After not being able to find my Gizmo XL at LDRS, (sence been found), and depositing a rocket in the corn, on the other side of the treeline at this past MDRA sod farm weekend launch, (not been found), I decided to drop the bucks for the 100 unit. Enough is enough...seemed like a good quick fix....

Bob DeHate showed me the Comm-Spec 100 unit this past weekend. After not being able to find my Gizmo XL at LDRS, (sence been found), and depositing a rocket in the corn, on the other side of the treeline at this past MDRA sod farm weekend launch, (not been found), I decided to drop the bucks for the 100 unit. Enough is enough...seemed like a good quick fix....

Yep. Trackers aren't cheap, but they're a whole lot cheaper than losing a lot of rockets!

Experiences like yours are what lead to a lot of us buying trackers.

Of course, the best is when you forget yours at home, a friend offers you theirs, and you decline it....only to lose the bloody rocket. :bang:

-Kevin

Yep. Trackers aren't cheap, but they're a whole lot cheaper than losing a lot of rockets!

Experiences like yours are what lead to a lot of us buying trackers.

Of course, the best is when you forget yours at home, a friend offers you theirs, and you decline it....only to lose the bloody rocket. :bang:

-Kevin

Yep - the Mongoose that got away.

Ok, the Comm-Spec setup has been shown in this thread to be cheaper than the more "standard" rigs used in rocketry. It also does not necessarily require a HAM. CJim has never lost a rocket in 9 years using his.

So, why WOULDN'T it be a great/obvious choice? Or, to put it another way, why would someone opt to spend more bucks/time and go with a HAM required rig (assuming they are starting the tracking game from scratch)?

CJim admits his rig is somewhat "caveman by today's standards" - but it's cheaper, easier to get, and it seems to work. What's the downside?

s6

Ham provides flexibility that you don't get with a CommSpec type tracker.

With a Ham-based GPS, I don't have to hunt, the rocket tells me where it is. I just walk there.

In addition, Ham radios can be used for communication in the field, and they beat the pants off of FRS.

The CommSpec, and similar units, just work. They're great devices, and if you want ultra-compact, take a look at the L&L offerings.

-Kevin

If you are already a ham and have a receiver, then it may be cheaper to go with a BRB. That being said. I have a com spec 300. It is a 222-224 mhz. I have not lose a rocket that I have used the tracker in. I have lost sections but not the part the tracker is in. CJ as usual is a great reference of knowledge.

Ok, the Comm-Spec setup has been shown in this thread to be cheaper than the more "standard" rigs used in rocketry. It also does not necessarily require a HAM. CJim has never lost a rocket in 9 years using his.

So, why WOULDN'T it be a great/obvious choice? Or, to put it another way, why would someone opt to spend more bucks/time and go with a HAM required rig (assuming they are starting the tracking game from scratch)?

CJim admits his rig is somewhat "caveman by today's standards" - but it's cheaper, easier to get, and it seems to work. What's the downside?

s6

I asked myself the same questions last spring. For me, I did not want to be limited in options due to not having a radio license. Studied up, took and passed the HAM test. Purchased a nice Kenwood TH-D72 with data, and an external Arrow Yagi antenna. Now my options are pretty wide open. The radio can track down beacon transmitters, or receive APRS GPS data. With a 70cm BeeLine GPS you get the best of both worlds. It can transmit GPS coordinates and transmit beacon signals all from the same unit. Another bonus you can communicate with other HAM users at the launch via the radio. Getting the HAM license might seem more trouble then it's worth, but now that it's done it really is worth the effort. Good luck on whatever path you decide on.

I asked myself the same questions last spring. For me, I did not want to be limited in options due to not having a radio license. Studied up, took and passed the HAM test. Purchased a nice Kenwood TH-D72 with data, and an external Arrow Yagi antenna. Now my options are pretty wide open. The radio can track down beacon transmitters, or receive APRS GPS data. With a 70cm BeeLine GPS you get the best of both worlds. It can transmit GPS coordinates and transmit beacon signals all from the same unit. Another bonus you can communicate with other HAM users at the launch via the radio. Getting the HAM license might seem more trouble then it's worth, but now that it's done it really is worth the effort. Good luck on whatever path you decide on.

That is true, you do have wider options with HAM.

The BRB MP beacon also puts out 100mW which is likely much more power and range than the bird units. It is also fully configurable for frequency, duty cycle, mode, etc. The trade off is that it is bit bigger, heavier, and the battery life is on the order of a day or so rather than weeks.

A basic ham receiver, if you don't already have a suitable rx, I believe can be had for less than the dedicated bird rxs.

The standard BRB beacon is 16mW for comparison and the battery life should be several days.

I'm not familiar with the bird unit specs but given their tiny size and stated extremely long battery life they must be fairly low power. My oldest son was a falconer at the US Air Force Academy when he was an undergrad and his opinion was that the range was fairly limited once a bird was in a tree or on the ground.

The good news is that with today's micro electronics you have many good options at reasonable cost as evidenced by the many recommended units in this thread.

The com-spec unit that my club has is 50 mW, half that of the BRB GPS units. The only real disadvantage of it is that the antenna is looooong; it doesn't work well in tiny rockets.

I love my Garmin Astro. That thing is huge but I have managed to rip mine apart and have it mounted in a 38 mm tube. I have also mounted it in the nose cone of my Estes Interceptor E. I have had it shut off on me once in mid flight but I think I have that problem figured out now.

I have topographic maps of all the areas I fly programmed into my GPS so when I go hunting down my rockets I can see exactly on the map where they are, or where the last signal was picked up at. Pretty easy in my books but it is kinda pricy and you do have to kinda make the transmitter work for you. My tube I use for my transmitter is fiberglassed and I have several different hitches for it, plus it can just be clipped on the nose cone with a quick link.

In the pod
IMG_2737.jpg

In the interceptor nosecone
49d329d7.jpg

4" nose cone hitch plate
IMG_2742.jpg

Last edited:
Which Garmin transmitter is that? Is it in a 38mm coupler or tube. I have one, but I have been unable to get it that small.

Back