CMASS April 28th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks to Scott and MMMSC for giving us a place to fly today. The field is awesome!

The large rocket that was launched by MIT at MMMSC then at SLI/USLI and back at MMMSC was recovered by a land owner after it landed a little out of bounds. MMMSC was called to come take the rocket back and after some great climbing and ropes practice by the MIT team, the land owner offered to just cut down the whole dam tree to get the remaining parts of the rocket out of the tree.

He promptly cut down the wrong tree and ran out of mix gas in his saw.:surprised::jaw::rant::lol:

MIT has the data(high speed cameras worked) and Body of the rocket back, and the nose cone will be retrieved when the tree is felled later in the week.

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

Here's a video of my L1 cert. I get a little motion-sick watching the descent from the on-board cam due to all the swinging and spinning in the wind. But if you were there you can probably freeze-frame it and wave to yourself. You can also see my son and his friends running toward the falling rocket until Kenn yelled at them over the PA. I still think he should have let it hit them, although maybe the NAR insurance doesn't cover concussions from bone-headedness.

It was a great day despite the wind. I'm glad the MIT team located their rocket. I wonder if the landowner cut down the tree with my Estes Blue Ninja in it by accident. It was last seen headed the same general direction as the MIT rocket.

WARNING: SOUNDTRACK CONTAINS ROCK AND/OR ROLL:

[video=youtube;f3Wx_gvcEro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Wx_gvcEro[/video]

Last edited:
I'll add my thanks to the Maine folks for sharing their field with us. I took advantage of the trip up to join the club. I plan to visit again and help support you guys as you build up your roster and equipment. Having two active sections will really be great for eastern New England rocketry. :D

Oh, maybe you could arrange for less wind the next time! :wink:

I got a video of the MIT launch, my crayon, and Boris's saucer. I will have them up on youtube within a couple of days. Great launch!

[/QUOTE]Sully,

Nice launch video.
It would be nice for a little warning on the music. I jump out of my seat when it played!

Here's a video of my L1 cert. I get a little motion-sick watching the descent from the on-board cam due to all the swinging and spinning in the wind. But if you were there you can probably freeze-frame it and wave to yourself. You can also see my son and his friends running toward the falling rocket until Kenn yelled at them over the PA. I still think he should have let it hit them, although maybe the NAR insurance doesn't cover concussions from bone-headedness.

It was a great day despite the wind. I'm glad the MIT team located their rocket. I wonder if the landowner cut down the tree with my Estes Blue Ninja in it by accident. It was last seen headed the same general direction as the MIT rocket.

[video=youtube;f3Wx_gvcEro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Wx_gvcEro[/video]

Great video! It is also awesome to see another Hendrix fan on here, though I doubt that video will stay up if youtube discovers it.

Great video! It is also awesome to see another Hendrix fan on here, though I doubt that video will stay up if youtube discovers it.

Funny thing about the music: when I posted it, Youtube instantly sent me an email warning me that I may have copyrighted material in my video, and that if the copyright owners complain that it has to come down. They also correctly identified the track and added a link to purchase it right next to my video. In other words: "You might be doing something wrong on our site, but until the heat comes down we're going to try to make some $$ off of it. But we're not responsible for anything terrible you've done if anyone asks."

If the Hendrix estate won't accept my generous offer of splitting all the royalties I'm getting from the video, then I'll change the soundtrack to public domain. :p

Thank you to Scott and the rest of MMMSC for hosting CMASS last Saturday. I had a great time. Did anyone get any pictures of my Predator Jr. on a H225 White Thunder? The flight went to 2,208 feet and landed about 100 feet from the trees about 1/2 mile away I would guess.

Back