2.6 inch Astrobee-D Semi-Scale w/ Dual Deploy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cross posted from Captain Low and Slow's Astrobee-D Thread:

Looking at the photos from Aerojet and G/T it would appear by following the paint scheme in Peter Alway's Scale Bash I will either

A) Wind up with a roughly semi-scale model that is not a paint scheme / payload color that flew... or
B) Wind up with a roughly semi-scale model that is not a paint scheme / payload color that is documented in the photos I have gotten from Captain L&S​

I am not sure of the source of my nose cone, but it was a 5:1 Ogive that came with either a PML or a LOC kit. Or maybe a defunct Vaughn Brothers one... But at 13 inches its close enough. :)

I am not sure of the source of my nose cone, but it was a 5:1 Ogive that came with either a PML or a LOC kit. Or maybe a defunct Vaughn Brothers one... But at 13 inches its close enough. :)
[/SIZE]

Actually, your 13" nose cone will be perfect for your scale.

An now, the tranya... I hope you relish it as much as I do. .... oh wait... wrong forum! :lol:

Und zo vee apply za paint ya?

To za schnazoola ya?

2012-05-05-Astrobee-D-0002.jpg

Und der finzz
2012-05-05-Astrobee-D-0004.jpg

Mit de masking no more, ya?
2012-05-05-Astrobee-D-0009.jpg

And with the nozzle cover painted flat black. (Note to self: It would have been a lot easier to paint the flat black first THEN the fins... :bangpan: )

2012-05-12-Astrobee-D-0001.jpg

So it's Semi-scale... Given the data I have now, it's a complete mish mash of all sorts of different Astrobee D rounds... and may match none... lets call it Astrobee-D'ish.

Still it looks the part... from a distance. Nice stickershock decals. Man, Mark, that textured clear satin transfer tape is AGGRESSIVE! :)

Most of the rocket is coated with a clear satin finish acrylic. All that is left is rail buttons and hooking up the recovery harness' for dual deploy.

I could have done better on the finish... but from 5 meters it'll be fine. An Aerotech G or a CIT H for the first flight.

2012-06-02-Astrobee-D-0001.jpg

2012-06-02-Astrobee-D-0002.jpg

Four months later I get the balls to put it in the air. Using a 12 year old or more, AltAcc-2 (not 2A or 2B, just 2) I launched using an H180-M. So the motor was the back up to break apart at apogee. An 18 inch nylon chute was the drogue. The flight was arrow straight. Apogee deployment was great. And main deploy was nominal!!! I was a happy camper!! My first Dual Deploy. AltAcc claims 1680' (512m) apogee.

The weather was amazing. PERFECT. So I didn't need dual deploy. But I am stoked it worked!
Hey, sitting on that rail, it almost looks the part! ;)

Yo Mark. Thx for the graphics!

8129752671_6afd163d36_b.jpg

Last edited:
That turned out great, Jeff! That photo looks like it could be a real launch at White Sands!

Brother ,that turned out to be a beauty ,nice work Jeff !

That launch photo is absolutely spectacular.....perfect !

Glad all went well :cheers:

Paul T

Back