Sirius Saturn V - Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed the eyebolt on the bulkhead. I had a nice stainless flanged Eyebolt in the hardware tray on my boat that was a perfect fit, so I upgraded from the standard eyebolt.

Bulkhead attached to the coupler section.

SV045.jpg

SV046.jpg

SV047.jpg

I've decided to glass the top 10" of the 3.9" tube. Fiberglass will cover the exposed part of the tube and end under the Interstage transition shroud.

I chose to end the glass here, as I won't have to increase the ID of the 6":3.9" centering ring.

That should provide significant additional strength to the separation stress point. Not to mention reduce the risk of zippering the tube...

Thanks for the advice Boris.

Lunar Module Shroud and the Coupler Section epoxied in place.

Nice solid piece. I still need to do a tiny bit of finishing work to the shroud seam,... but I'm happy with the result.

SV048.jpg

SV049.jpg

SV050.jpg

Next up,... Fiberglassing the forward 10" of the 3.9" body tube.

I'm going to use 2 layers,... a 4 oz bottom layer covered by a 2 oz layer. Fiberglass seams will be offset 180 degrees. Bondo will be used for finishing.

Not a glamorous week ahead...

Watching this thread is making me want to get mine out of the closet where it has been setting for the last 5 years and build it. :confused: Looking great! :)

Watching this thread is making me want to get mine out of the closet where it has been setting for the last 5 years and build it. :confused: Looking great! :)

Really! I'm 1/2 way through my Estes build and have been for 2 months. This is just the inspiration I need.

Thanks.

Break her out! It goes pretty fast. But with no timetable for finishing, it's just fun. Beats watching TV after the kids are in bed!

Really! I'm 1/2 way through my Estes build and have been for 2 months. This is just the inspiration I need.

:D

Fiberglass laid...

2 layers on the forward 10" of the 3.9" body tube,... a 4 oz bottom layer covered by a 2 oz layer. Fiberglass seams were offset 180 degrees.

SV053.jpg

SV054.jpg

Fiberglass filled with Bondo. I thinned the Bondo with a bit of acetone (about a tsp/oz) to get it to apply a little thinner.

Careful sanding ahead... but not tonight.

SV057.jpg

Last edited:
Rough sanded... followed by a coat of primer. Final sanding ahead...

SV058.jpg

SV059.jpg

Still waiting on the 38 mm Aeropack MRS... Hopefully I'll get an update tonight or tomorrow.

Hasn't really held anything up yet,... but I'm getting close to where I really can't do too much more without it.

I have some paint work to do on the service module yet. And I can work on the command module...

Still waiting on the 38 mm Aeropack MRS... Hopefully I'll get an update tonight or tomorrow...

My AeroPack Motor Retainer shipped yesterday (thurs). Maybe it will arrive Sat. If not, then on Monday.

Next up... the Command Module (capsule) and LES (Launch Escape System/Tower):

Lots of pieces and a separate instruction set.

Brass wires to make the 4 tower uprights
4 tower struts and a center ring
The Solid Rocket Tower
A detail styrene sheet for the base of the solid rocket
4 rocket nozzles
And the Command Module / Capsule (Fantastic amount of detail,... down to the latch on the door!)

SV063.jpg

SV064.jpg

SV065.jpg

SV066.jpg

Last edited:
Cut 4 sections of brass wire to 2.5" each.
Sanded the base of the Solid rocket.
Trim the detail styrene ring in preparation to glue to the base of the solid rocket (final sanding after glue sets).
Sand the 4 rocket nozzles.

SV072.jpg

SV071.jpg

SV073.jpg

I'm a little concerned about the tower brace pieces. lots of tight angles without much material holding them together.

The small ring came with a mfg defect (it is incomplete, see pic). I have no doubt that Sirius will send a new one out if I ask,... but I think I'm going to find a metal ring the appropriate size to use instead.

I'm going to try building the tower with the provided parts,... but if I'm prepared to do a custom tower with small wood dowels if strength seems suspect.

SV074.jpg

SV075.jpg

SV076.jpg

SV077.jpg

Attachments

• SV069.jpg
    SV069.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The Tower Trusses have been trimmed. Now that they are done, they are sturdier than I imagined they would be. Once glued to the brass upright struts,... I'm confident they will be quite rigid.

SV078.jpg

SV079.jpg

Last edited:
Styrene detail sheet attached to base of LES rocket.

SV083.jpg

SV084.jpg

Last edited:
The Command Module and LES Rocket are each drilled with 1/16" bit to provide a mounting point for the brass tower struts. The holes are vertical in the capsule, but 45 degrees in the LES rocket. (Notice my high tech 45 degree Jig!)

SV080.jpg

SV081.jpg

SV082.jpg

Forward end of brass rods bent to 45 degrees. Inserted into the LES Rocket. And then into the CM. Thin CA to bond.

SV085.jpg

SV086.jpg

SV087.jpg

SV088.jpg

SV089.jpg

I'm very happy that my Aero Pack Motor Retention System finally arrived. Gets the build back on nominal progression.

The 38mm Aero Pack MRS epoxied (JB Weld) to the Motor Tube. The aft centering ring epoxied (JB Weld) flush with the forward edge of the centering ring. This results in the aft centering ring being position 0.4" from the aft end of the motor tube.

Once this sets,... the internal launch lug gets epoxied in place. Add fillets, and the the MMT Assembly will be complete and ready for install in the main body tube.

SV097.jpg

SV098.jpg

Wow!
That's the way a kit tower should be done!

The kit is really amazing. The detail is spectacular for a display piece,... and unbelievable for a model that will fly. Everything is really well thought out and engineered.

Great work there!! Amazing build. Not sure I could ever justify the $$$ but it is a nice kit. KUTGW,:handshake::clap::pop:

The Motor Mount Assembly is finally complete.

The brass tube is the internal launch lug. I chose to use JB Weld to secure it. Sloppy fillets added.

The cable is the shock cord attachment harness.

SV099.jpg

SV100.jpg

SV101.jpg

SV102.jpg

Back