Sirius Saturn V - Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few more pics got e-mailed to me. Here are some staging pictures (courtesy of Anthony King)...

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!! I've enjoyed watching this build and I think you've inspired me to fly my Estes Saturn V soon. It's finished except for the recovery devices. The parachutes and shock cords are all still in the box in their bags. After I finished painting it I've had it either hanging from the ceiling in my office or sitting on my desk.

But it's a rocket, not a model. Right?

I know there's always a chance for damage, and that would be a tragedy. But it would be a shame not to fly it!

If you don't fly a rocket, it's guaranteed not to fly. If you do fly a rocket, it's by no means guaranteed that it will be damaged. :)

Agreed. Until you fly it,... it is nothing more than a static model. It's a model of a rocket.

Flight is what gives a rocket life... Once they fly, they are a rocket first and a model second.

I will never build a rocket that I do not intend to fly.

Agreed. Until you fly it,... it is nothing more than a static model. It's a model of a rocket.

Flight is what gives a rocket life... Once they fly, they are a rocket first and a model second.

I will never build a rocket that I do not intend to fly.

I cannot agree more!

I went through 3 flights on my estes Saturn V until I got a picture perfect one I really liked!
1 with a D12, it was nice, but to low.
1 E20, Crash, no nose weight, little cosmetic damage- repaired.
1 E20, nose weight, Perfect flight! Butttt no liftoff pictures.... Maybe a flight 4 in the future?!?

Congratulations!!

I hope you can attend the Dec Club launch so I can hear all about the launch. The pictures are fantastic.

Thanks Nick.

I have to check my / our schedule for december before I commit. Hopefully I'll know by early this week.

I'm going to try to make "misfire alley" this saturday though.

What's that supposed to mean? :)

Nick and my local NAR Club has 2 launches a month. A full club launch on the first saturday,... and a less formal "gathering" for lack of a better word where you bring your own launch equipment on the 3rd saturdays, called misfire alley.

AWESOME!! thanks for sharing the pics and the video...just a perfect flight! You did an incredible job on this build...just a masterpiece!! I have never seen a HPR launch in person...(I am a BAR and LPR)...but man that thing just blasted off the pad! spectacular!

Nick and my local NAR Club has 2 launches a month. A full club launch on the first saturday,... and a less formal "gathering" for lack of a better word where you bring your own launch equipment on the 3rd saturdays, called misfire alley.

Oh, OK. I was wondering if you were poking fun at Tripoli Tampa, but that would be a long drive from all the way down there.

AWESOME!! thanks for sharing the pics and the video...just a perfect flight! You did an incredible job on this build...just a masterpiece!! I have never seen a HPR launch in person...(I am a BAR and LPR)...but man that thing just blasted off the pad! spectacular!

Thanks Rick. I appreciate the kind words. :cheers:

I highly recommend you make your way to your local chapter of NAR or TRA and spend a few hours or the day. I've never seen anything larger than a K... but that'll make you speechless while you watch in awe. The day I flew the Saturn,... a club member (who coincidentally lives on my street!) launched a custom built rocket with a moon burner K motor... ~9 second burn. You'll be addicted!

Oh, OK. I was wondering if you were poking fun at Tripoli Tampa, but that would be a long drive from all the way down there.

Never! I'm glad you asked. Thanks for clearing up any confusion.

Besides, I may have to make my way up there some day to burn up my remaining I-Class "sparky" motors. Does TTRA allow Skidmarks?

Wouldn't be hard convince the wife to spend a few days at the Don Cesar in St Pete Beach.

Does TTRA allow Skidmarks?

Yup. :) Lots of people fly sparkies at most of the launches. Sometimes (rarely) if it's too dry they won't allow them, but I don't think they've had to do this for quite a while.
You can sign up for the email list via the address on tis page: https://ttra.ws If it's too dry for skids, they'll say so in the email.

Yup. :) Lots of people fly sparkies at most of the launches. Sometimes (rarely) if it's too dry they won't allow them, but I don't think they've had to do this for quite a while.
You can sign up for the email list via the address on tis page: https://ttra.ws If it's too dry for skids, they'll say so in the email.

Thanks for the info. Almost certain I'll be up there sometime in 2013 to burn up my Skids!

Hi Simon,

Just wanted to thank you for this thread, it's been very helpful while building my Sirius Saturn V, which I just finished. The detailed photos and explanations of the methods you used were great; I referred to them often over the past year (yes, it took me a year, on & off!). This kit is full of challenges, but well worth it. I'm looking forward to launching next spring, winter gives me a few months to enjoy a ding free model !

-Paul

Hmmmm, every year the wife says "What would you like for your birthday?" and I say "Ah, I dunno". I now know!

Back