General question regarding sanding wood filler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3boydad

Reaction score
I know this is probably one of the dumest questions, but i need to ask it. I have watered down the elmers wood filler per information i have found here. Painted my fins on my vagabond and executioner even though that rockets fins are ply, dont know if that was needed? Anyhow, when you sand the filler after drying, do you sand it down basically taking it all off with say a 220 or 320 grit paper until you see barewood again? and do you guys fillet it on the lugs and fins to make it uniform and neat prior to paint? I really could use some help, as i would like to complete these two bad boy rockets i have gave so much love making perfect. gosh i sure do enjoy this hobby more as a grown man more than when i was a kid!

apply so as to cover the wood, let dry. then sand until the wood starts to appear and looks/feels smooth. depending on the wood surface this may require more than one application. same technique is used for primer and spot putty. good luck.
rex

The filler isn't necessary on the fins but done properly it will fill in any grain or irregularities in the wood and make a nicer finish. There are other ways to accomplish this--some just use multiple coats of primer while others laminate fins with paper.

Personally I usually would only use wood filler to do fin and lug fillets after shooting on a coat of primer. You don't want the watered down wood filler to come in contact with the cardboard. One tip for this part--if you apply tape about a quarter inch away from the fin and lug it keeps the filler where you want it and makes a nice clean line.

? Anyhow, when you sand the filler after drying, do you sand it down basically taking it all off with say a 220 or 320 grit paper until you see barewood again?

I add food coloring to the watered down filler. That way, I can tell where I have sanded all the way down to the wood and where I have not.

The filler isn't necessary on the fins but done properly it will fill in any grain or irregularities in the wood and make a nicer finish. There are other ways to accomplish this--some just use multiple coats of primer while others laminate fins with paper.

Personally I usually would only use wood filler to do fin and lug fillets after shooting on a coat of primer. You don't want the watered down wood filler to come in contact with the cardboard. One tip for this part--if you apply tape about a quarter inch away from the fin and lug it keeps the filler where you want it and makes a nice clean line.

I got some all over the bottom half of my tube. is this a problem? i sure hope not

shouldnt be a problem - just sand it smooth trying not to sand the surrounding body tube too much

When I fill body tube seams, I use carpenters wood filler (CWF) mixed with water to a consistency of mayo. Never have had any problems. I apply the filler with my fingertip to minimize the excess that will later need to be sanded flush.

If you do get some CWF where it doesn't belong, it's a pretty simple matter of sanding it off. Just apply light pressure with a fingertip to the spot.

One thing to bear in mind is that unless you're building a museum model, you are going to put a black powder motor in this rocket, boost it into the air a couple of hundred feet if the motor doesn't cato, hope the chute deploys properly and that the rocket avoids hazards such as trees, cars, roofs, and rocks on the way down.

Don't invest more into this bird than you are willing to lose.

From 15' they all look about the same. ;)

When I fill body tube seams, I use carpenters wood filler (CWF) mixed with water to a consistency of mayo. Never have had any problems. I apply the filler with my fingertip to minimize the excess that will later need to be sanded flush.

If you do get some CWF where it doesn't belong, it's a pretty simple matter of sanding it off. Just apply light pressure with a fingertip to the spot.

One thing to bear in mind is that unless you're building a museum model, you are going to put a black powder motor in this rocket, boost it into the air a couple of hundred feet if the motor doesn't cato, hope the chute deploys properly and that the rocket avoids hazards such as trees, cars, roofs, and rocks on the way down.

Don't invest more into this bird than you are willing to lose.

From 15' they all look about the same. ;)

:lol: god thing i have a field that its impossible to lose. But getting blown up is a different story. i know your right, i should just go with it now!

Back