My LPR/MPR Launch Pads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Reaction score
Someone posted a message about building a launch pad. Here's mine. I Built the 5 rod unit about 10 years ago, and added the rail tripod this last month. I cleaned her up and replaced all the bumble bee tape.

I call it the "Missile Commander Deluxe"

The controller is showing it's age, dust has infiltrated the switches, I am working on a replacement built into a Pelican case. The new one will have five toggles plus a 6 position rotary switch so I can set it to "All" where the toggles will enable the pads, and 1-5 so I can hold down the fire button and slowly rotate the knob for successive launches. For Drag races, all Toggles are on. The new one will be LED's but these blue lamps from Rodeo Shark are Quest Q2G2 compatible.

Key is a 1/4 Phono plug with the contacts shorted in the plug.

Black box inside has the relays, Battery is placed at the pad. I run an extension cord out to the tripod if I place it farther out.

Continuity circuit goes through the NC contacts of the relay, and the high current goes through the NO contacts, so the continuity lamps are not in the circuit during ignition.

The launch button lights up when the key is in and says "FIRE" on it in LED Font, and a piezo buzzer beeps as well. I had a flip lid, but it was a pain in the ass so I removed it. The new one will probably be an Arcade Machine Button. The Key will be the same, as I usually forget it, and a screwdriver or large nail works in a pinch.

I plan to put a small red or amber "roller" out on the pad, (a rotating lamp, AKA cop car Gum-ball Machine) with LED's replacing the Incandescent lamp. Something about the spinning mirror just looks right.

I have no plans for this other than schematics.

IMG_2109.JPG

Pads and controllers
IMG_2111.JPG

Drill Chucks and Blast Plates...Yeah, my garage needs cleaning!
IMG_2112.JPG

Inside storage compartment, Rods store in PVC pipe that makes the handle.
IMG_2113.JPG

Internal Storage holds everything.
IMG_2117.JPG

Packed up and ready to go home.
IMG_2104.JPG

Closeup of the old controller. Plastic switches having trouble with dust. Lamps from Rodeo Shark are Quest safe, quite by dumb luck.

Last edited:
Nice looking setup there, very unique. I am guessing your from Arizona, will you be at spring blast?

Back