Flooring Tile Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
I am thinking about using sections of tile for a base for a mold.

Attributes that I would like, importance in descending order (most important first):

• Flat, like glass, with very little variation
  • Smooth, like glass
  • 12" x 12"
  • Relatively inexpensive
  • Relatively durable
It doesn't have to be tile, that's just where I was thinking of starting.

Anyone have ideas on what might "fit the bill"?

Greg

I was looking for a tile to do some fin bagging on. I looked at Lowes and I found just a few tiles that would work. These had a slight texture, sort of like peel ply, and were 18 x 18, but they were very flat and consistent from one side to the other. I looked at every tile in the store, and there were just a couple of patterns that were like this (I was surprised because I expected many more "candidates" to choose from). Anyway, these might be available in 12 x 12, but I wasn't looking for that size.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

The 18" x 18" size will work for me. I just didn't need it that big, plus I don't know what the "standard" floor tile size is.

How well did that tile work for your vac-bag base and do you recall what the make/model of the tile was?

Greg

For 36 bucks, you can get a 1/4" thick, 12x12 piece of G10 from McMaster Carr. It's certainly more durable than a tile would be!

Floor tile comes in a variety of standard sizes, including both 12x12 and 18x18.

The ideal would be smooth ceramic wall tile, if you can find it that large -- the biggest I've ever seen is 8x8.

Floor tile tends to be a bit porous (remember, it's a floor, and truly slick is bad), whereas wall tile is typically a lot smoother.

A better option is to find 12x12 or 18x18 glass tiles; I have some a friend gave me that work very well for this application - they're 12x12 and about 1/4" thick. He may still have some, and if so, he may well be willing to sell and ship some for a reasonable price. I'll ask.

-Kevin

I am thinking about using sections of tile for a base for a mold.

Attributes that I would like, importance in descending order (most important first):

• Flat, like glass, with very little variation
  • Smooth, like glass
  • 12" x 12"
  • Relatively inexpensive
  • Relatively durable
It doesn't have to be tile, that's just where I was thinking of starting.

Anyone have ideas on what might "fit the bill"?

Greg

If it's just a base for a mold, what is wrong with glass?
Easily cleaned, will hold release agents (steal the wife's Pam Spray?)
What are you molding Greg? You've made me curious.

Floor tile comes in a variety of standard sizes, including both 12x12 and 18x18.

The ideal would be smooth ceramic wall tile, if you can find it that large -- the biggest I've ever seen is 8x8.

Floor tile tends to be a bit porous (remember, it's a floor, and truly slick is bad), whereas wall tile is typically a lot smoother.

A better option is to find 12x12 or 18x18 glass tiles; I have some a friend gave me that work very well for this application - they're 12x12 and about 1/4" thick. He may still have some, and if so, he may well be willing to sell and ship some for a reasonable price. I'll ask.

-Kevin

Thanks, Kevin.

Greg

If it's just a base for a mold, what is wrong with glass?
Easily cleaned, will hold release agents (steal the wife's Pam Spray?)
What are you molding Greg? You've made me curious.

Now that you have mentioned it, "Nothing". They may be preferable. I just don't know if one of the big-box Home Stores would have glass tiles. But, I will check.

As far as what I'm molding:

• Children: My two cub scouts made the cut for the district Pine Wood Derby, so it's to square the base of the cars with the sides (this one is time critical, BTW)
  • Me: A base for fin molds for various rocket projects

Greg

Thanks Jim.

The 18" x 18" size will work for me. I just didn't need it that big, plus I don't know what the "standard" floor tile size is.

How well did that tile work for your vac-bag base and do you recall what the make/model of the tile was?

Greg

I don't know the details, but I can look the next time I'm there (I go about twice a day it seems). I do know that the tile in question was one of the store brands as opposed to the "special order" section.

Jim

Now that you have mentioned it, "Nothing". They may be preferable. I just don't know if one of the big-box Home Stores would have glass tiles. But, I will check.

As far as what I'm molding:

• Children: My two cub scouts made the cut for the district Pine Wood Derby, so it's to square the base of the cars with the sides (this one is time critical, BTW)
  • Me: A base for fin molds for various rocket projects

Greg

how resistant does the surace need to be...
Tile is good, but if your going to handle it, it is brittle... the tile is ment to take impact... not be handled and unevenly supported...

i have made litteraly hundreds of jigs with Lexan... it works...

How about glass itself. You could use glass mirror tiles but they're thin. I'll bet you could get a place that does commercial windows to cut you up some pieces of 1/4" plate glass.

How about glass itself. You could use glass mirror tiles but they're thin. I'll bet you could get a place that does commercial windows to cut you up some pieces of 1/4" plate glass.

This may be the ticket! It may be thick enough for my purposes. Also, it's a pretty good deal to get a half-dozen for a 10-spot. Thanks for finding it, Bill.

Greg

Call around to glass shops, and see if they have any 1/4" to 1/2" thick glass -- let them know you're interested in odds and ends.

-Kevin

-Kevin

Kevin
I went out to the garage and checked I have four pieces of 14x14x1/4" reinforced (Wire mesh) glass, four pieces of 12"x12"x3/4"? that have two panes of glass with a sealed airspace between them, two pieces of 12"x12"x 3/16" that are textured on one side smooth on the other and two 12"x12"x 3/16" that have a rubber like substance on one side smooth glass on the other.
Make me an offer and I can figure shipping.

Back