I've got the runs REAL bad......Help please!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratos283

Reaction score
Well, I got a little too gung ho or close when putting the second layer of Rust-Oleum crystal clear enamel 7701 on my Big Daddy, and spun it around and noticed a big nasty run. Can I let this dry and sand it down before applying more clear? Details on the process and sand grit would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Stratos283

It may not be as bad as it looks right now. Rusto Crystal Clear Enamel tends to level quite nicely.

Next time, try rotating the rocket to get the run to spread out a bit or entirely before it dries. This has always worked for me and I shoot a lot of Crystal Clear.

Once the run is completely dried, you can always lightly sand it with Wet-or-Dry sandpaper of various grades to smooth it out. A follow-up coat of Crystal Clear should make it look as good as new.

Just what I was hoping Old Dude. I was concerned that after sanding it down it would turn white and not go back to clear after successive coats. Thanks a bunch.

Stratos283

Wow...and when I first read the subject line I thought someone was sharing way TOO MUCH INFORMATION about their personal health on here...

Well, if it happens again,and if ya dare, you can actually "Pull" the run off with masking tape. Its an old trick used by even older autobody repair men.

Wow...and when I first read the subject line I thought someone was sharing way TOO MUCH INFORMATION about their personal health on here...

Haha yeah, exactly why I clicked the link, out of sheer :surprised:

I was thinking (when I saw the subject line), pink stuff or depends...:)
rex

Stratos, Let it dry for 3 or 4 days. If you can put it in the sun for a while --all the better. If it were me I'd moist sand it with400 grit. Use a sanding block or even a small piece of wood and wrap the paper around it. Sand around the tube and let the block follow the shape of the tube--or fin--doe'nt matter. That way you don't sand a divot into the surface --or oversand one spot too much. If the clear begins to roll up in little balls --let it dry for another 24 hrs.and continue. When done let it dry--the surface should be white or opaque--no big deal.. spray a couple of coats and your good to go. You'll most likley have to hit the whole rocket again to get it even. The sanded part will tend to dry a bit faster or a little different at first--don't rush it--lay down a couple nice lite coats and let them tack off first. remember to roll the rocket and don't load up any one area--back off your distance a tad. H

I'm a paramedic. I saw the title and thought: "C-Diff."

That said, the techniques already mentioned do work --all may not be lost...

Later!

--Coop

That said, the techniques already mentioned do work --all may not be lost...

Later!

--Coop

I thought White Castle onion chips and Hudepohl draft. :y: Must be a regional thing.

--Coop

For the uninitiated that is short for Claustridum deficile, a bacteria that causes a nasty colitis.

Of course, my favorite germ is B. cereus. Which can also cause the runs.....

I know, I need to get out more.

I thought the thread title might get some attention. WebMD ain't got shixt on you guys!

But yeah Hornet Driver and others, I sure wish I had came back on here and read this last night before I dove into it about eight hours after the last coat. I actually did do a couple things right. The big run was on the BT but I noticed that the clear had "pooled" at the bottom edge of the NC and I decided to experiment there first. I started with a block and 400 grit dry, and sure enough as you said, the sanded material started to roll up into little balls. I then decided to sand it under a running faucet of cold water, and that helped a little, but my sandpaper still wanted to "stick" instead of gliding across the raised clear lip. I did my best to kinda clean it up and rinse off the sanded gunk, then put it up to really cure before starting back. I'm glad I didn't dive into the BT run or I would have really made a mess of things. Next time I'll be sure to get on here and check the most up to date responses to my cries for help before tackling a problem. To be honest I had kinda forgotten about my post until today.

And if that doesn't work, I just might take the advice and crack open a bottle of the pink stuff and try that!:rofl:

Stratos283

Last edited:
Back