Batch Converting Rocksimm rkt to OpenRocket ork files

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argylebill

Reaction score
I put on YouTube a short video of how to do a Batch Conversion from Rocksimm RKT to OpenRocket ORK Format. Why? Two reason, I don't have Rocksimm's program, have OpenRockets', secondly one can find a lot of rkt files and rather than opening one at a time into OpenRocket and then do a Saving As, I simply use this batch process to do the work and it works great.

This video shows using the F Drive on my computer, you use whatever drive is available to you:

Start off by making a folder named OpenRocket
Then in that folder make two(2) sub-folders named as:
ORKRKT

Download and place the OpenRocket application file into the folder named OpenRocket

Download all of the Rocksimm (*.RKT) files your little heart wants into the sub-folder named RKT.

Go to the the Windows Command Promt and type:
cd f: (then press the Enter key)

Then will need to change directory or folder where the OpenRocket application file is located. As is in this example, it would be:
cd f:\openrocket (then press the Enter key)

Then type at the prompt the following line text:
java -cp OpenRocket-12.03.jar net.sf.openrocket.utils.RocksimConverter F:\OpenRocket\RKT\*.rkt (then press the Enter key)

This will then convert all of your *.rkt files into *.ork files.

Now simply select all of the *.ork files and move them to the ORK sub-folder. Or you can leave them there, but you will need to delete the *.rkt files for if you download any more rkt files and run the batch conversion process again, one will have the old rkt files converted again. This is why I move my files and then delete the rkt files.

Note if your Open Rocket application and sub-folder are different, then you will need to make change in the above commands.

YouTube Video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOxiRfyh0U

Enjoy...

Hi,

Just as a small note, I recommend keeping stuff in its original format unless it's necessary to convert it. You can open RKT files normally in OpenRocket, and later versions of OpenRocket may have updates to the RKT loading support, which make it load the files better. Also if you edit a file in OpenRocket, it's recommended to save it in ORK unless you need to transfer it to RockSim (and even then I'd suggest saving in both). While the conversion between the formats is good, it's not perfect due to differing feature sets.

Regards,
Sampo N.

Back