Purdue University SEDS Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelmann

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
My name is Kelly Mann, I am the leader of this year’s Purdue SEDS Rocket team. I am new to using rocksim, and I am trying to use it to determine our required motor. Our rocket needs to hit 10,000ft as part of the scoring in this competition, but the big differentiator in this competition is whoever has the lightest rocket.
If you would like to read more about this competition here is the link:

https://seds.org/2012/01/2nd-annual-seds-high-powered-rocketry-competition-announcement/

I am currently getting a max height of 13600ft using an L1115 from Cesaroni Technology Inc. in perfect conditions

Does this seem like a reasonable engine?
Is this too much weight and thrust for what I want to do?

Please let me know what questions you have.
Thank you!

Kelly

What kit are you using and can you post the rocksim file you are using?

And since I know you, I feel like I can poke fun at you for calling it an engine and not a motor. SRM not SRE!

Hi Astronaut Farmer!
We are using an extreme Wildman, and the rocksim is on wildmanrocketry.com. I can post it here tomorrow.
Whoops, should have caught that one. Its motor from now on!
Also our payload is .5 kg.

Kelly

Last edited:
The SEDS contest looks interesting. It should be a lot of fun.
Thrustcurve.org has a list of motors that you can browse. You can filter by size and impulse class. Makes it easier to find what best fits your needs.

this may be a stupid question...but, are you permited to use a commercially availible kit?
rex

Yes you are. You can use a commercially available kit or make your own. You can also use an EX motor or a commercial motor.

-Disclaimer from myself on this thread: I led the Purdue SEDS rocket team last semester and am loosely affiliated with it this semester as well

twas the bit about 'design, construct, launch a high power rocket'. that got me wondering, thought maybe someone ought to ask :).
rex

Hello everyone!

I am currently getting a max height of 13600ft using an L1115 from Cesaroni Technology Inc. in perfect conditions

I've looked at doing this at our school but we never got around to it. It looks like we're once again past the design report deadline, oh well.

As far as the contest, it seems reasonable to get an entire rocket under half the weight of the L1115 alone, so I'd imagine you could downsize a tad. If you aren't looking to do a scratch build, you may want to look at the wildman blackhawk series

Will you be at USLI?

As far as the contest, it seems reasonable to get an entire rocket under half the weight of the L1115 alone, so I'd imagine you could downsize a tad. If you aren't looking to do a scratch build, you may want to look at the wildman blackhawk series

So in other words, a 54mm rocket could carry that payload just as well? The extreme wildman is pretty small, and 4inchs gives good payload volume. But yeah you could get a 75mm or 54mm kit higher on less power, though not a ton less... 10,000 feet is pretty hefty.

Last edited:
I've looked at doing this at our school but we never got around to it. It looks like we're once again past the design report deadline, oh well.

Will you be at USLI?

[Steal thread]You might want to consider the Battle of the Rockets. The spring competition for this year is over, but you have plenty of time to get in on next year's. There are several competitions and one that included robotics too.
[/Steal thread]

Back