my first big rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libyarocketry

Reaction score
I use to build rocket motors mostly from 30 centemeter long aluminum tube by 7 centemeter dia. on rockets 120 centemeter long.
on practice test on flat land it makes 1000 meter distance within 2.5 seconds.
in my big rocket i fitted 3 motors of this type willing to make it fly 3 times the single rocket..... well i was rong on my calculation.
I don't know far it went or how fast it was.
sadly i don't have any electronic system to measure speed and altitude.
see my test https://rocketlibyan.blogspot.com

That rocket moved very quickly. Three times the propellant results in more than three times the speed and height as you found out.

Do you use parachutes or do your rockets crash?

That rocket moved very quickly. Three times the propellant results in more than three times the speed and height as you found out.

Do you use parachutes or do your rockets crash?

i never use parachutes or electronic sensors for my rockets they all crash.
time took this rocket from start to crash is 20 second.
crash point was 1000 meter away from starting point .

i am trying to make hand made parashut and sensors.

I am not sure how easy it would be for you to get electronics from a vendor on these forums, but they make altimeters that deploy parachutes based on the altitude of the rocket. It seems a shame to crash a rocket on every launch.

I am not sure how easy it would be for you to get electronics from a vendor on these forums, but they make altimeters that deploy parachutes based on the altitude of the rocket. It seems a shame to crash a rocket on every launch.

i know it is not easy to buy and send to libya.
for the time being crashing is the only choice to continue rocket flying.
may be soon i will find solution for it.

Hmmm. Maybe you could use a mechanical timer. Since rockets experience very high accelerations when they are launched, you might be able to use that acceleration to trigger a timer. In fact, many electronic timers are triggered by liftoff acceleration. For example, a small weight could be mounted to the timer so that at launch, when the rocket experiences 10 or 20 g's of acceleration, the small weight would **become** 10 or 20 times heavier due to the acceleration. As the rocket coasts up, the timer runs down. If you picked your delay time correctly, the timer will run out at the rocket's apogee. Finally, you might be able to rig the timer so that it triggers a mechanical deployment mechanism. For instance, if your timer is designed to ring a bell, you might modify the timer to release a piece of elastic or bungee cord, and the cord would force a parachute out of your rocket.

I have never tried this technique myself, and I have never even seen it tried. It's just something I thought up. I'm sure that other people have used mechanical timers and mechanical deployment systems for their rockets, so you might want to research their efforts.

You guys are overlooking the fact that he is in Libya and can't buy the electronics that we have easy access to.

I wonder if there is a way to set up an ejection charge to go off when the rocket begins its descent. A mercury switch, or something like it, might be a way to do it.

good thoughts, you are getting close,i have three things in my mind , i think if i put them together they might work.
electric,mechanical and aerodynamic.
1- electric- such a heavy duty car light rely and charging capacitor
2-mechanical- like spring loaded pin
3-aerodynamic- if you put two metal sheet againest each other,one fixed and the other is movable then pass high speed air in between, they attract each other like magnet,if you slow the air they extract each other

Back