Mach Madness Extreme Flight Failure Analysis

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really. Most of the damage to the booster happened after the avbay was gone.

Well, if there is no evidence in the flight data, or actual flight observation, or physical inspection of the debris of the event you describe, then I guess we will never know...

Well, if there is no evidence in the flight data, or actual flight observation, or physical inspection of the debris of the event you describe, then I guess we will never know...
That's why I was very happy to get my booster back -- prior to that I had assumed my rocket had simply shredded due to poor construction. I also had the advantage that my Raven data made more sense (I could see the apogee charge continuity being lost) and I had some high-quality photos of the breakup. You don't have any of those factors working for you. At least I don't think we can rule out a motor issue, so trying again with similar construction (if you wanted to) doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

At least I don't think we can rule out a motor issue, so trying again with similar construction (if you wanted to) doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Good, now we get to the important issue--the future :blush:

My plan is to upgrade the airframe material and to redesign the coupler engagement to always provide support section-to-section. In addition I am making changes to the fin can, but this is more to reduce/trade weight from the airframe changes without loosing strength/stability. Externally the rocket will be a bit shorter, but similar in look/feel--internally the architecture is much different.

If the above is successful and the rocket stays together in 2013, then I will do another upgrade of the materials and step up to a 75mm design in the 2014 Mach Madness Contest. How is that for long range planning!?

If the above is successful and the rocket stays together in 2013, then I will do another upgrade of the materials and step up to a 75mm design in the 2014 Mach Madness Contest. How is that for long range planning!?[/QUOTE]

I still think that 54mm is the way too go Tim.......

When i get back from my USLI field trip next weekend i'll have "Sam-I-Am" prepped with the N10K ready for "The Grove" on the 29th.

Time to find out what that motor, a fin can and, a nosecone would have done......if it had arrived on time......

Too bad i ordered it a month in advance.

I won't, that's crystal. He's just insinuateing that my rocket is not "done right" since mine doesn't break the waiver..........

I won't, that's crystal. He's just insinuateing that my rocket is not "done right" since mine doesn't break the waiver..........

Manny, sorry. Wasn't really thinking about your rocket flight at all. My comment was based on my Rocksim and RASAero sims on the newly architected Blur II.

It's okay Tim, I know my rocket wasn't done right. Why else would I build another one? I would definitely stick with 54, if you didn't shred, you would have swept up the competition. Can't wait to see the second variant.

The rocket look very pretty robust to me. It hope it has a minor motor problem or may have airframe fin construction issue that causes failure. it is one of the wonderful things I have ever seen.

Latest posts

Back