Bandsaw v. Scrollsaw

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy F.

Reaction score
So you would think as many rockets I have scratch built I would own a saw for cutting circles. Well I am finally going to get a power saw which will do just that, so which is perfered in our hobby?

Bandsaw or Scrollsaw??

I use a drill press w/ circle cutting tool for my centering rings and bulkheads.

Up to 1/4" thick and 6" diameter plywood I use a circle cutter that can be found at WoodCraft or Rockler that fits on my drill press. I do have the thickness on one side then flip the board for the other side. With a cicle cutter I can do both the inside and outside cuts of a centering ring. Beyond those dimensions I use a circle cutter jig that can be purchased from Highland Woodcraft.

I have used a router before and was pleased with the finish. What I don't like about using a router is that you must either do a rough cut or accept quite a bit of waste due to the router bit thickness. Since I've got the circle cutting jig, I just do the entire outer cut on the band saw.

Of late, I've been using large circle cutting bits for the interior cut of centering rings since I don't have good enough technique on my scroll saw to cut a good circle. The interior cut is a good place for a router if you have a pattern and have already done a rough cut.

I'm open to instruction. What do the rest of you do?

Back