The smallest three-stage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RW James

Reaction score
I was just reading a thread about the Astron Farside. It got me reminiscing again... back in 1966-ish, when my friend and I were building and launching rockets as fast we could - I think he had the Farside. But I found a plan in one of the Estes newsletters that I just had to build.
Anyone else remember those little motors made from 1/2A's and 1/4A's Estes made by cutting the casing in half? This was before the 13mm motors. These were very small and lightweight - but I think they had a better thrust curve than the 13mm because the casing was still 18mm.
Anyway, the plan was for a minimum diameter bodytube - the same length as the motor, which I guess was 1-3/8" - at least for stages 1 & 2. The sustainer stage was a bit longer and as I recall, I put in a 6" black parachute. I think the plans called for a streamer, but I thought I would have a better chance of seeing it with a parachute. I was right. I have no idea how high it went, but I could see a tiny black dot up there - and it never came down. I lost stage 2 as well. I think I recovered stage 1. Luckily it was an inexpensive rocket, but it was an incredible amount of fun. Well worth the sacrifice.
I suppose that kind of a modification of a 1/2A motor would be greatly frowned upon now.

Estes published a plan called "Sky High" in a 1969 issue of the Model Rocket News that used featherweight recovery for the third stage. The first two stages used tumble recovery. Unlike your design that used Series III (0.69" x 1.75") motors, the Sky High used standard motors. The plans can be found here: https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/eirp_65.htm . The only difference between the standard and short motors was the shorties had 1" of motor casing removed at the factory. Unfortunately, many of the smaller motors have been long discontinued.

Estes published a plan called "Sky High" in a 1969 issue of the Model Rocket News that used featherweight recovery for the third stage. The first two stages used tumble recovery. Unlike your design that used Series III (0.69" x 1.75") motors, the Sky High used standard motors. The plans can be found here: https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/eirp_65.htm . The only difference between the standard and short motors was the shorties had 1" of motor casing removed at the factory. Unfortunately, many of the smaller motors have been long discontinued.

This is a friend of mines. This is just prior to it's first flight. Be sure to tape the motors well—this one stripped it's first two stages right off and went unstable.

P1020798.jpg

P1020799.jpg

Last edited:
Been flying a Mini-Manche-3 for a good long time how. So far I've been lucky enough to recovery all three stages from each flight. 1st and 2nd stages tumble, third is a 1"x 20" orange streamer, That's the ONLY reason i've gotten it back 6 times.. any size chute would have drifted it completely out of the park.

Now that we have a semi-booster for Micro Maxx models (MMX-II-NE's), I've been considering a Micro-Manche-3 which would really be a heart stopper with the .854s delay at each stage.

Man I wash they would bring back the A3-0T as the A10-0t's put this model WAY UP There in a hurry.

OBTW I still have a couple of the 1/2A6-OS motors in my range box.

Oop Motors-2b_a few Boosters plus_08-27-06.jpg

Last edited:
Been flying a Mini-Manche-3 for a good long time how. So far I've been lucky enough to recovery all three stages from each flight. 1st and 2nd stages tumble, third is a 1"x 20" orange streamer, That's the ONLY reason i've gotten it back 6 times.. any size chute would have drifted it completely out of the park.

Now that we have a semi-booster for Micro Maxx models (MMX-II-NE's), I've been considering a Micro-Manche-3 which would really be a heart stopper with the .854s delay at each stage.

Man I wash they would bring back the A3-0T as the A10-0t's put this model WAY UP There in a hurry.

OBTW I still have a couple of the 1/2A6-OS motors in my range box.

Not surprising the Mini-Manche goes sky high on A10-0T's.

Essentially you're putting the extremely lightweight top stage up there on a C motor (3xA= low C).

If Estes ever perfects the "Mega-Mabel" which could custom-design motors to exact user specs, a 1/2 A3-0T would be a great SECOND-stage motor for the Mini-Manche for "get it back" flights.

The A10-0T first stage would have the kick to get it up to stable speed fast, then the 1/2A3 second stage just a little additional nudge, then with maybe a 1/2A3-4 T in the third stage, you'd get it all back within a couple hundred feet.

Last edited:
It'd be fun to try and build a micro manche 3 using the quest motors!

Back