Estes - (Mini Tri Pak) Sting Ray (#0866) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmotiger

Reaction score
I know the Mini Tri Pak rockets are popular as upscales, but this is a straight clone of the Sting Ray (BT-5 based). I've launched it once. The flight was good, but recovery was... problematic. The ejection charge blew the nosecone, shock cord and mount completely out of the rocket. I think I grossly underestimated how much cord I needed to dissipate the force of the charge.

stingray.jpg

DSCN5445.jpg

DSCN5458.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you attach the shock cord? I just hate earthworm killing rockets!

How did you attach the shock cord?
I cut off a section of a used 13mm engine, tied the cord around that and glued it inside the body tube. Which is the approach shown in the instructions, although an extra thrust ring was provided for that purpose in the original kit. Looks like bad gluing on my part- it appears the ring pushed the glue down the tube, rather than squishing into the space between the ring and the inside surface of the tube.

Welcome to the Estes (Mini Tri Pak) Sting Ray (#0866) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes (Mini Tri Pak) Sting Ray (#0866) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Mini Tri Pak Sting Ray: #0866

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes (Mini Tri Pak) Sting Ray (#0866) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Mini Tri Pak Sting Ray Also known as: Sting Ray

NUMBER: #0866

Introduced: 1983
Final Year: 1990
Designer:

Type: Sport, 2 Stage
Motor Mount: 1x13mm/1x13mm
Recovery: Tumble/Streamer
Stages: 2
Length: 8.4"
Diameter: 0.5"
Span:
Weight: 0.26 oz

Mfg. Description: Two-stage mini performance. Out-of-site flights to 2500 feet! (Estes 1983 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-sting%20ray%200866-1983%20cat.jpg
1983 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-sting%20ray%200866-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-sting%20ray%200866-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back