First model rocket question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vistaxp

Reaction score
So reading the instructions, it ask me to slant down 2 of the fins, but I can't seem to slant them without having it fall off. The base of the fins are flat, so I assume I'm suppose to sand them down so it slants a bit for easier gluing.

So does it matter if the instructions tell me to slant the fins? What if I dont and just glued them straight out?

what kit are you building - the fin edge glued to the body should be flat & square - the leading edge is sometimes rounded or sanded to a knife edge profile but if you dont it wont matter much at all - that is done for streamlining/making the fin a better airfoil

I hope this rocket ends up being the first of many for you in this enjoyable hobby! :)

What rocket kit are you building? Some of us might be able to help you more specifically if we know which kit you are building.

I don't know if the instructions touched on it, but it is often helpful to apply a small amount of glue to the fin root (edge that attaches to the body of the rocket), let it sit a minute or two, and then apply another light amount of glue. This double gluing technique will give the fin more sticking power when you go to attach it to the rocket body, helping to hold it in place.

Good luck and fly high! :)

Jim Z

I hope this rocket ends up being the first of many for you in this enjoyable hobby! :)

What rocket kit are you building? Some of us might be able to help you more specifically if we know which kit you are building.

I don't know if the instructions touched on it, but it is often helpful to apply a small amount of glue to the fin root (edge that attaches to the body of the rocket), let it sit a minute or two, and then apply another light amount of glue. This double gluing technique will give the fin more sticking power when you go to attach it to the rocket body, helping to hold it in place.

Good luck and fly high! :)

Jim Z

Yeah.This helps when I glue it completely flat on the root edge, but it doesn't stay on if I give it a slight angle. Should I sand the root edge to an angle, so that when I glue it, stays flat and slanted?

Okay not that I look at it. Looks like it's slanted the opposite direction because of where it's glued.

Have pics. Ignore my ugly feet and dirty floor lol.

KnaxN.jpg

SAcwG.jpg

I'm just worried that it will launch outwards more than it should. Don't want it to land on the freeway :)

Last edited:
Yeah.This helps when I glue it completely flat on the root edge, but it doesn't stay on if I give it a slight angle. Should I sand the root edge to an angle, so that when I glue it, stays flat and slanted?

Thanks for the .pdf file!

I think you are correct and sanding the root edge at a slight angle will help you alot. The rear stabiliser looks like it is mounted at a downward angle.

ok - that makes sense then to sand it at a slight angle - normally fins need to be perpendicular to the body but there are exceptions

Ok cool, I knew something wasn't right.

Any tips on how to remove the fins? I glued it pretty good.

Well, I use a very sharp xacto knife or a modeller's knife and very slowly work at the glue joint. Run many light passes over the glue joint and you should be able to get the fin off with minimal damage or loss of material.

Back