$1.00 body tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RW James

Reaction score
One of the curses of this hobby is seeing things and thinking "I could put a motor in that!"

That's what happened today when I was in the Dollar Store while my wife was looking for Easter goodies for our granddaughter. I found this and my wife said, "She's not old enough for that!" I responded, "It's not for her - it's for me."

Here it is:
HPIM1765.jpg

It's called the H2O Blaster. Essentially a transparent tube with a plunger to draw in water then shoot it.
Here it is with the plunger drawn out:
HPIM1767.jpg

The diameter is about 1-1/8 inches. Big enough for an 18mm motor. The yellow plunger rod is 16mm, so I'll have to ream out the "nozzle" a bit - unless I go with 13mm. As it is now, it weighs 3.5 oz.

Because the "nose cone" and rear ring are pretty strongly glued on - I'm thinking rear deployment of the parachute or streamer. I could cut the internal tube off a few inches behind the O rings on the plunger and attach the recover system to that (I'll have to work out the specifics).

The body itself seems to be fairly substantial and still mildly flexible. I think it will hold up well to a LPR launch and recovery.

Because of the rear recovery, I can't use thru-the-wall fins - but I was thinking of Lexan and epoxy.

By the way, it comes in three different colors - in case anyone else wants to try one.

First step is to soak off that paper sticker.

Sounds like it might be big enough for a 24mm motor to me.

One of our club members made a night flyer with it. It flew great!. Just add a glowstick and it becomes a great looking night flyer.

Danny

Sounds like it might be big enough for a 24mm motor to me.
You probably could. Not sure if it's robust enough.
One of our club members made a night flyer with it. It flew great!. Just add a glowstick and it becomes a great looking night flyer.
Danny
I was thinking the same thing only with LED's - but the glow-stick sounds like a better way to go.

Yeah, BT-50 is .976 IIRC (1"=25.4mm) so 24mmm motors should fit, although you'd have to rig up some kind of mount.

You probably could. Not sure if it's robust enough.

I was thinking the same thing only with LED's - but the glow-stick sounds like a better way to go.

We've done a few night launches and IMHO glowsticks SUCK for anything in the air... when they lift off they become practically invisible... (course maybe some of yall have darker skies and stuff than we do... I dunno).

Honestly I think that using an LED, even if it's only something like a flashing "lapel pin" is better than glowsticks... the rockets we've lost have all been glowstick equipped rather than having powered lights...

FWIW... Later and good luck! OL JR :)

Back