Mini Max - 18mm?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul.nortness

Reaction score
Out of curiosity.....has anyone ever converted the Mini Max to 18mm?

If so, what were the results?

Yeah....I am pondering putting in a 18mm mount and building a 13mm adapter.

But then again, I have been in need of a good small field rocket for some time and with the projected altitudes of the Mini Max as is it fits the bill nicely. Would love to upscale this to BT-80 for some 24mm launches, but that nose profile is so unique.

I scratch built a Mini max before they released the kit. It has an 18mm MMT and no nose weight. It flies like a champion on a C6-7 but you'll want to make sure you have a large launch area and several sets of good eyes. :D

Little_Max.JPG

I built a two-stage version with 18mm engine mounts. I didn't add any nose weight, and it flies well without it.

The one time I flew it on a B6-0 to a C6-3, it nearly went to the big portapad in the sky. It disappeared completely out of sight, and the small size combined with streamer recovery makes it difficult to spot on the way down. Someone just happened to be walking by on the far edge of the field and picked it up, or we likely never would have found it-- we weren't looking in the right area at all.

In the gallery thread, a few people showed 18mm conversions for the Mini. I asked about it, and the responses all favor up to a C 6-5 without any nose weight. I finished putting one together myself just a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to painting and flying it yet.

Out of curiosity.....has anyone ever converted the Mini Max to 18mm?

Well as a matter of fact I have.

I kinda cheated though. Instead of adding nose weight, I stretched it to a 10.6 inch long BT.

Flies good on A's, great on B's and awesome on C's (with a streamer :dark: )

I've only launched (and recovered it) twice on C6-5's, I don't want to push my luck, it's a great little rocket.

I'll see if I can get some pics if ya want? I think I may even have an .ork file...

couldn't remember if you had done 18mm or a 24mm version thanks for chiming in Jeff.

Here's my version of a 18mm Mini Max. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet. We are under a fire ban in Colorado, hope to see it fly after September.motor.jpgminimax.jpg

Use 13mm adaptors in 18mm models often. just watch the total lift-off mass with the manufactures Max lift mass.
That said; most BT-20,BT-30 & BT-50 models CAN fly on 13mm motors. particularly the A10-3T's.

Back