MARSA systems inc: Marsa54 flight computer, need opinions.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one but, have yet to fly it.
It has allot of options: 4 channels; Kaufman filter; Motor Thrust data; web up-datable...

JD

I have one. It has 2 flights on it. It works very well. They are are old larger models so I can only use them in large rockets.

I have one. It has 2 flights on it. It works very well. They are are old larger models so I can only use them in large rockets.

The new model is considerably smaller. It would fit in a 3" tube with a teeny bit of room to spare on each side. It's not the cheapest, but I'm thinking more along the lines "You get what you pay for".

I did contact them, and they have no problems shipping to Canada, and the same $7 S&H fee. Not too shabby.

It is a fantastic altimeter. More features than I will fully use. My favorite altimeter is the adept 22 followed closely by then Raven.

Lots of flights on mine and LOVE it.

Full confidance in it - Using it for the primary alt on my Level 3 project flying at Red Glare next month.

It just works great.

Just wondering if anybody has any of the MARSA systems flight computers and how you like them, what you don't like, general opinions, etc.

I dig the screen. :)

https://marsa4.com/jmla/

Just picked up the MARSA54 last weekend. No flights yet but have bench tested it several times and played around with programming options. The LCD display is awesome and the menus are very easy to follow. I used a syringe over the barometer and gently pulled on the plunger while watching the LCD screen altimeter (in feet) climb till I stopped. The flight data is displayed on the screen and the piezo beeps out the altitude recorded. Downloaded the data to the computer and reviewed it without issue. Also ran the flight sim mode with ematches attached to Pyro ch 1 and 2. They fired off without an issue. The only thing I can't simulate on the bench is G force but I don't see that being an issue for my rocket. Very nice unit!!!

I am an emphatic fan of the MARSA line. There is only one tiny thing that confused me. If you test it with the outputs shorted (as opposed to some sort of pyro device) it will error out.

I am an emphatic fan of the MARSA line. There is only one tiny thing that confused me. If you test it with the outputs shorted (as opposed to some sort of pyro device) it will error out.

I tested with ematches connected to the pyro, not shorted. I would think a direct short could damage the unit.

Okay! I'm starting to like this Marsa product more and more!

Another question for you guys: Batteries.

What do you use, and what works well, and what to stay away from?

I was considering the rechargeable route. Here's a page that has some pretty cool 9V rechargeables. I'm leaning either towards the 9V/300mA or the 9.6V/230mA to power the MARSA, and the 9V/1200mA battery to fire the pyro/igniters.

Good idea or too darn heavy?

I love mine I've had the original and the 54 they are great just huge so they have to fly in bigger rockets.

Okay! I'm starting to like this Marsa product more and more!

Another question for you guys: Batteries.

What do you use, and what works well, and what to stay away from?

As mentioned a fresh 9v does the trick. If you really want additional power you can connect 2 9v batteries in parallel. Just be sure that both batteries are fresh or at equal charge if running rechargables so 1 bat isn't trying to recharge the other until they equalize.

MARSA54 is just under 1 7/8" wide so no problem fitting into a 3".

I was considering the rechargeable route. Here's a page that has some pretty cool 9V rechargeables. I'm leaning either towards the 9V/300mA or the 9.6V/230mA to power the MARSA, and the 9V/1200mA battery to fire the pyro/igniters.

Good idea or too darn heavy?

The MARSA54 only uses a single battery (no separate pyro).

you still going to build that Exocet for your Cert 1 eh?
Dual deploying you be trying eh?
see you tonight, I got lots of questions, like where and when can we launch here in Alberta? and so on and so on.....

Back