Big Ben rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAKingsGeek

Reaction score
So, I was flipping through the new Sport Rocketry magazine when an awesome rocket caught my eye. It was a rocket in the shape of Big Ben in London. The picture was taken at the 3rd annual Ljubljana Cup. The fins protruded from the edges of the clock tower and were painted like the Union Jack. Anyone else see this rocket?

It got me thinking about other famous buildings that could be made into rockets. I'm wondering how they made it. Perhaps they used one of those 3d models or a card stock model, or perhaps they built it from scratch? The magazine didn't provide any details other than the motor it flew on (Serb Ultra E44-5).

I've often thought it would be fun to build a rocket with an art deco look which is my favorite architectural style. The Chrysler building would be perfect! Unfortunately the bottom of the building is Much wider than the top which would make it extremely draggy. Anyone got any ideas on how to pull something like this off? Maybe the Eiffel tower would make a good rocket?

Oh yes.. saw that one. Really nice looking, most probably scratch built.

The TransAmerica building in San Francisco looks like it would be a nice 'rocket'. Towers similar to that one which flare out at the bottom could be good for the rocket. People have flown pyramids, cones, etc, and look at the Russian N-1. That flare out moves the center of pressure away from the middle and towards the back, just like fins. Its all about how much flare, etc.

For a minute there I thought you were talking about Ben Roethlisberger!

I've often thought it would be fun to build a rocket with an art deco look which is my favorite architectural style. The Chrysler building would be perfect! Unfortunately the bottom of the building is Much wider than the top which would make it extremely draggy. Anyone got any ideas on how to pull something like this off? Maybe the Eiffel tower would make a good rocket?

Yes, buildings make good rockets Back in the 90s, the Northern Illinois Rocketry Association held a fun contest for it's members called "Launch a Landmark". We had "flying" versions of lots of different buildings (e.g. the Gateway Arch, the Sears Tower, the Chicago Water Tower, etc.) Nearly all the entries were constructed from poster board.

My entry was a 2-staged Chicago Water tower, which performed reasonably well.
Chicago%20Water%20Tower.jpg

However, my poster board version of the Eiffel Tower performed far better. It stood approximately 3 feet tall and was powered by D12. It even had a spot on the "Wild Chicago" TV show.

Last edited:
Someone must have done the Washington Monument as a rocket at some point?

So, I was flipping through the new Sport Rocketry magazine when an awesome rocket caught my eye. It was a rocket in the shape of Big Ben in London. The picture was taken at the 3rd annual Ljubljana Cup. The fins protruded from the edges of the clock tower and were painted like the Union Jack. Anyone else see this rocket?

It got me thinking about other famous buildings that could be made into rockets. I'm wondering how they made it. Perhaps they used one of those 3d models or a card stock model, or perhaps they built it from scratch? The magazine didn't provide any details other than the motor it flew on (Serb Ultra E44-5).

With the amount of detail in that Big Ben, I would guess it's made of light ply or foamboard with printed skins. Now you've got me thinking too!

er...
*Clock Tower*

Big Ben is the name of the bell.

I still have yet to get the lexan fins cut for my CN Tower. I did some preliminary drawings for the Washington Monument, but haven't done anything with 'em in a while.

Yes, buildings make good rockets Back in the 90s, the Northern Illinois Rocketry Association held a fun contest for it's members called "Launch a Landmark". We had "flying" versions of lots of different buildings (e.g. the Gateway Arch, the Sears Tower, the Chicago Water Tower, etc.) Nearly all the entries were constructed from poster board.

My entry was a 2-staged Chicago Water tower, which performed reasonably well.
Chicago%20Water%20Tower.jpg

However, my poster board version of the Eiffel Tower performed far better. It stood approximately 3 feet tall and was powered by D12. It even had a spot on the "Wild Chicago" TV show.

I missed that but near the bottom on this page:
https://www.nirarocketry.org/galleryMOM-1998.html

You will find a picture of my John Hancock rocket which is a wooden frame covered in black monokote.

Nice. Exactly the kind of thing I'd like to do. Where was the launch lug placement? I can't even make out a launch rod in that photo. Also, which brand 3D puzzle did you use?

Wasn't my build but I know the launch lug ran up against the stuffer tube and out the top.

Someone must have done the Washington Monument as a rocket at some point?

Saw a flying Washington Monument at a PitttCon 40 years ago - I've had that idea in the back of my mind ever since, probably time to try it.

A TARC team flying with SPAAR years ago brought a flying arc de triomphe that flew well - it was an art project that had received a poor grade but did better as a rocket.

You will find a picture of my John Hancock rocket which is a wooden frame covered in black monokote.

Awww....we just did miss each other. In '98 I was spending my money on competitive dance instead of rockets. But I see you carried on my tradition of Unusual Flying Objects.

Back