L2 Semroc Laser-X Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DRAGON64 said:
Makes me wish I was heading to Airfest... so many nice projects heading that way. Nice build, looking forward to it's completion.

Thanks. I have been working on painting it. My fillets aren't perfect yet. I need more practice forming them on the ends. Here are some pics. One more wet sanding of the primer and then the paint will start going on. I still need to make the vanes for the end of the motor tube (see the Laser-X pic at the beginning of the thread)

Bill it will definitely fly at AirFest sometime, hopefully Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

image-3707890601.jpg

image-646312046.jpg

image-3544055477.jpg

Here is my onboard video from Sweaty Balls 4 on an AT I211. Pretty cool flight. Can't wait to see it on the J415 at AirFest.

[video=youtube;VQsW1U168Ug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQsW1U168Ug&feature=g-upl[/video]

Finally getting some more time to finish up my rocket. I think the "cooling vanes" look really cool. I bought some 1/8" Basswood and cut triangles out of it on my scroll saw and the glued them on with some thickened West Systems

image-46464934.jpg

Making good progress on the painting. In fact it should be done once the last coat dries in the booster section. Payload is done and paint removed. However, I had a little seepage under the tape at the end of one of the fins. Any suggestions on how to remove this purple paint from the white without messing up the white?

image-3476309990.jpg

image-311619614.jpg

image-2159282153.jpg

The Wildcat flew great at Air Fest. Adept22 altimeter beeped out 3531' altitude on the J415R motor. Unfortunately the main came out at apogee so I had about a mile walk to recover it. I wasn't able to get any photos of the launch due to some folks walking in front of me from the model rocket pads. I do have onboard video and as soon as I get it compiled I will post on YouTube. I flew it again on a J415W on Sunday in a drag race with my friend Dave White's Little J. Yes it is a Kansas University rocket. His I motor came up to pressure much faster than my J so we won the drag race but I caught him at about 500' and topped out at 3856'. Unfortunately for him his shock cord snapped and the booster came in ballistic. I had put some more tape on the nose cone for this launch and the nose cone stayed on at apogee and the dual deploy worked with the main at 600' as planned.

Thank you to everyone on here that has helped with fillets and general HPR building tips. I wouldn't have been able to build this rocket and successfully fly it for my L2 cert without it. Also thanks to Kevin Trojanowski (Troj) for being my prefect and signing the papers. Hopefully I will receive my new TRA card with level 2 on it next week! I am hoping to fly it again at the November Distant Thunder launch on a K motor. Maybe I can join the mile high club!

So yours was the L2 with the main at apogee - I remember seeing that flight. Congrats on the successful L2 :D

The Wildcat flew great at Air Fest. Adept22 altimeter beeped out 3531' altitude on the J415R motor. Unfortunately the main came out at apogee so I had about a mile walk to recover it. I wasn't able to get any photos of the launch due to some folks walking in front of me from the model rocket pads. I do have onboard video and as soon as I get it compiled I will post on YouTube. I flew it again on a J415W on Sunday in a drag race with my friend Dave White's Little J. Yes it is a Kansas University rocket. His I motor came up to pressure much faster than my J so we won the drag race but I caught him at about 500' and topped out at 3856'. Unfortunately for him his shock cord snapped and the booster came in ballistic. I had put some more tape on the nose cone for this launch and the nose cone stayed on at apogee and the dual deploy worked with the main at 600' as planned.

Thank you to everyone on here that has helped with fillets and general HPR building tips. I wouldn't have been able to build this rocket and successfully fly it for my L2 cert without it. Also thanks to Kevin Trojanowski (Troj) for being my prefect and signing the papers. Hopefully I will receive my new TRA card with level 2 on it next week! I am hoping to fly it again at the November Distant Thunder launch on a K motor. Maybe I can join the mile high club!

I saw this. It was a great flight and a nice looking rocket. Loved the look (cant stand K State even though I live about a mile from campus) detail and work you put into it. I stopped by your camp for a minute or two to look at both the K State and KU rocket on Saturday I believe. Congrats on the cert.

Very nice and I liked the Wildcat theme. Awsome flight too, congrats Dave

Back