L2 Semroc Laser-X Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't get much time to work on it yesterday. I glued the centering rings on the MMT. Sorry no picture of it. Tonight I got the fins tacked on with 5 minute epoxy. Once that was cured I slid the booster tube back on for another test fit. Whoo Hoo it fits perfectly. I still need to get a U-bolt and get that installed on the top CR. next will be the internal fillets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

image-1472022588.jpg

image-1441896051.jpg

Here are my first West System internal fillets. I used 105 with 206 hardener and 406 colloidal silica for a filler and a tongue depressor to form them. How long do I need to wait before I can turn the rocket to do another set?

image-38886657.jpg

[snip]. . . How long do I need to wait before I can turn the rocket to do another set? . . . [snip]

Well, if you were waiting on a reply before you went to the next set, you can do it now!

I use US Composites with West 406 and in a pinch have done all fillets at the same time and I don't recall seeing any sag. Normally I wait 15 minutes or so. I guess it depends on how thick you mix it, but when mine is about as thick as mayo, it really doesn't seem to move on its own. Never used the West epoxy, though.

Awesome build, BTW.

Sandy.

Here is a Laser X I found on Marks (Stickeshock) web site by Craig Harmeyer. craig_harmeyer-laserx_vo55.jpg

That is a cool looking Laser-X. Mine is going to be finished like a normal one though. I am a K-State Wildcats fan so it will be purple and white with powercats on it. I have a good friend who loves the Kansas Jayhawks so I need a rocket to offset his "Little J" that he got his L2 with.

Internal fillets complete! Only took two days. First set last night, another this morning, another after work, and the final set tonight. With the cheap 5 minute epoxy it would have been done in about 30-45 minutes. I will say that West Systems smells much better than the hobby epoxy! lol!!!

A lot of work to do in the next two weeks though. Forward fins to cut out yet, Av-bay to build, attach booster BT to fin can, outside fillets, attach forward fins and fillet them as well. Then assemble all the deployment parts and ground test. Fortunately I bought shock cords ready to go from Top Flight this time. So it will just be quick links and swivels and I am done.

image-3085060143.jpg

On my Av-bay. I am going to put my Adept22 in the transition section. Anybody got a good idea on how to cut the top and bottom out of it? See pics below. Once I have them cut out I will build a sled and bulkheads to mount the altimeter.

image-403583252.jpg

image-3878991852.jpg

Got quite a bit done so far this weekend

1. Used my Dremel to cut out the top and bottom of the av-bay

2. Got the top fins made using a new technique I have never used before. I cut the first fin on my hobby saw like normal but then I traced that fun out and cut them out about a 1/16th bigger. Then I taped the root tab edges together and then used my router table to cut them to size. Having a router bit spinning at 25,000 RPM a couple inches from your fingers is a little unnerving but I was careful as always with my power tools and got them done and tacked to the payload tube with some 5 minute epoxy. I am going to start the internal fillets this evening. I decided to put a 3/16th tab in the forward fins so I have a 1/4" tab inside the tube to put some epoxy on each side.

3. Of course now that all the fins are attached I had to put it all together for the obligatory assembled shot.

I went to the local True Value hardware store to get stuff for av-bay but the didn't have any tubing. I guess I will drop by Lowe's tomorrow at lunch and see what they have. Maybe they will have some plastic rivets and nylon screws. If not it will be another order from Apogee.

image-2135305275.jpg

image-1241062971.jpg

image-2334649262.jpg

image-759616489.jpg

image-1547514406.jpg

Internal fillets done on forward fins! Not pretty bu the are functional.

I had some epoxy left over so I did one outside fillet too. It isn't real pretty either. Sanding here we come. Should I use micro balloons instead of colloidal silica on the outside fillets?

image-2650574853.jpg

image-231633100.jpg

Looks really nice, so far!

One thing I did notice in the pics of the forward fins is that it doesn't look like you've roughed the tube up much, prior to epoxying in the fins.

-Kevin

Good because that is what I have been using on all of my fillets on this rocket. I tried to form the one I did with a gloved finger dipped in rubbing alcohol and it didn't work very well. It just smeared the epoxy. Maybe it wasn't set up enough.

davdue said:
Good because that is what I have been using on all of my fillets on this rocket. I tried to form the one I did with a gloved finger dipped in rubbing alcohol and it didn't work very well. It just smeared the epoxy. Maybe it wasn't set up enough. Are there any videos out there that show how to form fillets?

davdue said:
Good because that is what I have been using on all of my fillets on this rocket. I tried to form the one I did with a gloved finger dipped in rubbing alcohol and it didn't work very well. It just smeared the epoxy. Maybe it wasn't set up enough.

Go read a build by Crazy Jim (blackjack23 on here) and look at his technique - follow his method and you will have awesome fillets

-Kevin

troj said:
Go read a build by Crazy Jim (blackjack23 on here) and look at his technique - follow his method and you will have awesome fillets

-Kevin

Thanks Troj. I found one of his threads and used his PVC tool idea. My first one were a little rough but the aft fins are turning out good. I haven't had a chance to post any pics but I am making progress and hope to be ready to start sanding and painting on Sunday. I may fly it in primer at SB IV. Depends on how the ground test goes. I'll try to post some build pics soon.

Sorry for the delay. The build has been going on as planned. In fact I flew it naked on an AT I211 at Sweaty Balls 4. Man was it hot! 106 degrees. She flew great. So here are some pics of the av-bay. I also attached some pics after the ground test and flight. One thing I learned it that I should coat the bulkheads with something to keep the BP soot from getting them dirty.

image-3619671001.jpg

image-251621820.jpg

image-3985691907.jpg

image-2829585059.jpg

image-654583624.jpg

image-1756054657.jpg

Some more pics. I thought I had some pics from the aft fin fillet process but I guess not. These pics are after some sanding and filling. I used Crazy Jim's filleting process that he details in his "CJ's Space Cowboy build manual.....you asked for it!" build thread.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ild-manual-you-asked-for-it!&highlight=cowboy[/URL]

I tried some Elmer's wood filler on the forward fin fillets. I got some Bondo spot putty today to try on the aft fin fillets.

image-234134301.jpg

image-1150200282.jpg

Last edited:
Back