Centuri - S.S.V. Scorpion (#5307) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
CenturiSSVScorpionawaitingfacelift.jpg

I picked up a REALLY badly treated SSV Scorpion in an Ebay auction several years ago. I was going to try to restore it, but in person it was worse than I thought my meager magic could handle. I decided to part it out and use the nose cone and transition for a UFO Invader. (That way I'd keep it in the same family.) BUT FIRST, one last flight for the beat up ol' girl.

CenturiSSVScorpion-FinalFlight.jpg

CenturiSSVScorpionleavesthepad.jpg

CenturiSSVScorpionrecovery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Centuri S.S.V. Scorpion (#5307) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri S.S.V. Scorpion (#5307) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: S.S.V. Scorpion: #5307

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri S.S.V. Scorpion (#5307) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

MODEL NAME: S.S.V. Scorpion Also known as:

NUMBER: #5307

Introduced: 1977
Final Year: 1981
Designer: Dave Smith

Type: Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x28mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 29.7"
Diameter: 2"
Span: 8.5"
Weight: 5.7 oz

Mfg. Description: Until 1983 most satellite repair and service was conducted with NASA Space Shuttles. This encouraged peaceful applications of space travel so that today Earth is surrounded by thousands of solar energy collecting satellites. The Satellite Service Vehicle (S.S.V.) Scorpion maintains this complex network which conserves our dwindling natural fuels. Its name comes from the stinger shaped rudder that magnetically launches and retrieves satellites from earth orbit. They slide down the rudder into storage slots on the hull, and are later brought into the open hanger. Maintenance crews work in the vacuum of space to prevent atmospheric damage to these satellites so vital to the 21st century. (Centuri 1977 Catalog 1)

Advertising Liveries

centuri-ssv%20scorpion%205307-1977%20cat%201.jpg
1977 Catalog 1

Face Card(s)

centuri-ssv%20scorpion%205307-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

centuri-ssv%20scorpion%205307-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Here is the winner of the ECRM 2012 Classic Model Rocket Contest Event. Took me about 4 months to build it. Here is what I submitted for my entry:

Parts from Semroc – Parts from SEMROC where used to recreate the SSV Scorpion: main Balsa Nose Cone, ST- Body Tubes, “detail” Thrust Rings, Dowels, two 20” Parachutes, Tubing Coupler, Ejection Baffle, Launch Lugs.

Nose Cones for the “fuel pods” – From the Estes NC-5 Nose Cone Assortment

Glues – Epoxy, Crazy Glue, and Yellow Glue

Cardstock – 110 pound Cardstock was used to recreate several parts and details for the SSV Scorpion like the Satellite Storage Wrap, the Wing Thickeners, the Deck and Partitions, the Tail Shroud, the Tapered and Straight Strips, the Ringnet Band, and the Shock Cord Fastener.

Modifications:

Fin Material – The original SSV Scorpion had the fins made from .05” or 1/20” fiber or cardboard sheet. The fins on this model and the “satellites” were made using 1/16” basswood covered with full sheet paper glued to its surface.

Launch Lug – The 8” long launch lug was recreated by gluing three 3/16” launch lugs 3”long each with crazy glue and cut to length.

Ejection Baffle – From Semroc.

Plastic Coupler – Recreated the coupler by extending the forward BT by .9”. One end was wrapped with a .9” wide strip of regular paper. The raised details were recreated using two strips of half round styrene strips, four half round woman’s nail plastic dots decorations, and cardstock.

Engine Mount – The Super Kits used C6-3 engines or the C5-3S “Super-C” 18mm engines. Instead of the original 18mm engine mount, a “Magnum D” 24mm conversion engine mount was installed to ensure lift off as the clone’s weight is in the area of 10 oz.

Clear Coat – Future Acrylic Floor Finish

7400586232_4b44eea3b7_k.jpg7400584422_0bc0984fee_k.jpg7400584744_87f76506e0_k.jpg7400585104_7905e2e654_k.jpg7400585910_0fe0a0e61c_k.jpg

Awesome! Any pics of it coming down under chute? I noticed that you did it the right way.:wink::cool:

Here is the winner of the ECRM 2012 Classic Model Rocket Contest Event. Took me about 4 months to build it. Here is what I submitted for my entry: ...snip
"Awesome" is right. Congratulations on the win! Looking at the effort that went into it—well deserved. Very, very nice.

Thanks Everyone for your comments!

Nope, no pictures of it coming down under chute but I did post a video on YouTube of the Flight of the SSV Scorpion!... You can see it came down on two 20" parachutes. Pretty cool! So far it has two flights: one "nekid" and one qualification flight.

Back