Aerotech vs. Cesaroni

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They all have their pros and cons
It all depends on whats your preference
cost per reload ?
cost of hardware ?
ease of use ?
Which one is more important ?
Tim

And...
Sound
Color
Performance
Availability
Reliability
Reload versatility
Hardware options
Interface capability

All true...What would be really nice is a dealer who had up-to-date web listings of the reloads they actually had on their shelf. Everyone has favorite reloads, no matter the brand. I do not have time to play phone tag or email tag with various vendors looking for a particular reload.

Any opinions on LOKI motors? I need to choose something for my Lvl 1 cert for next month and they seem to have good prices.

They aren't bad. I haven't flown many due to the fact that they have only recently become available at our local launches, but they do seem to be nice products.

LOKI is good stuff, the owner leaves something to be desired.

Ben

P.S. contact me off forum for more info into that comment

All true...What would be really nice is a dealer who had up-to-date web listings of the reloads they actually had on their shelf. Everyone has favorite reloads, no matter the brand. I do not have time to play phone tag or email tag with various vendors looking for a particular reload.

That's a great idea, in theory, but in practice, it's problematic.

Using our buddy Tim Lehr of Wildman as an example...

Providing current information requires that as product is sold, it's updating a database somewhere, which the website uses to produce availability information. That means a constant feed.

Now, Tim uses a computer as his cash register, which makes it theoretically possible. Except for the fact that his cash register goes to launches with him, and without an (expensive) cellular connection, he cannot keep that information current.

In addition, most affordable small business POS (point of sale) software is proprietary, and won't have the necessary hooks to provide such a feed.

Even exporting the data on a daily basis can be difficult, and would require custom development to convert whatever format the software can produce (if any) to the format the web site needs.

For larger retailers, the POS software is still often proprietary, but because larger businesses require the ability to monitor sales at several stores, the ability to obtain feeds is built-in, and those same retailers have the IT staff necessary to write programs to convert it.

If the data is then made available, the website then has to be setup with the ability to utilize that information.

-Kevin

Kevin,
Yeah, I know it would be tricky, and about impossible to keep up-to-the-minute. It would be a start if it was updated at least weekly. For instance, if Vendor A has (5) I211W's on Monday, I would be confident ordering 1 or 2 on Thursday. Or if I was looking for a H123W, and the vendor has (0), I would look to see if there was another reload of that impulse and case size that the vendor had that would suffice. Not perfect, but it would reduce the phone/email tag to one brief contact. It would also help the vendor since in times of low inventory, he's not calling all his customers trying to suggest back-order times or alternatives.

Last edited:
Different motors for different things.

pathfindergo.jpg

4" pathfinder on Aerotech I161W

cherokeego.jpg

5.5 inch cherokee on Pro38 J330.

Aerotech White lightning has lots more smoke even in a smaller motor (not sure if the smoke comparison is fair in comparing the propellants but that was my observation)

On the other hand, for a motor of twice the impulse the J in the Cherokee was off the pad before the launch button could be released. It was up to pressure NOW!!

I like em all!!!

Try some CTI White Thunder though - that's a nice propellant, with more flame and smoke than CTI Standard :D

(Admittedly, this is a bit of an unfair comparison to the 38mm stuff in the last post, since this is a Pro75 L motor)

RL3_3759_tweaked.jpg

I noticed that too. Thought maybe it was just nostalgia. :)

Any opinions on LOKI motors? I need to choose something for my Lvl 1 cert for next month and they seem to have good prices.

One of our club members flew a Loki I110 at our July 4/5 launch. It was the first Loki motor ever flown at one of our launches and the first I'd ever seen myself. Very, very impressive, with a 4-second burn time and a good exhaust signiture.

Nice motors. When I get around to it, my L3 attempt will be with a Loki.

Most of my hardware (and motors flown) are Loki and Cesaroni, in that order.

One of our club members flew a Loki I110 at our July 4/5 launch. It was the first Loki motor ever flown at one of our launches and the first I'd ever seen myself. Very, very impressive, with a 4-second burn time and a good exhaust signiture.

The I110 is a great motor. I used it for my L1 cert and got 4,200 feet with that 4+ sec. burn. I flew a lot of I motors in that rocket and the cert flight was it's highest flight until I put a J350W in it.

I certainly have to agree with Bill. Our club uses primarily Cesaroni and Loki motors for solid propellant. Loki motors are really easy to assemble and they ROCK. Try the I405, that is a great motor. I will be doing my L3 in August (weather permitting) on a Loki M1882 in a PR Competitor 5.

I certainly have to agree with Bill. Our club uses primarily Cesaroni and Loki motors for solid propellant. Loki motors are really easy to assemble and they ROCK. Try the I405, that is a great motor. I will be doing my L3 in August (weather permitting) on a Loki M1882 in a PR Competitor 5.

You should get 12000' with that, it'll rip!

Loki motors are really easy to assemble and they ROCK. Try the I405, that is a great motor. I will be doing my L3 in August (weather permitting) on a Loki M1882 in a PR Competitor 5.
Hey, hey! :gavel: No off topic discussions here! :D :bangpan:

MarkII

Squished my Aerotech-only policy and bought a nice Pro 38 6G XL case with the J520 Skidmark reload for the pretty sparks ;). Looking forward to flying it at the August NERRF launch.

Also considering the Pro 29 mm hardware with skids for the kids but like everyone said the smaller Skidsmarks are very pricey for G impulkse motors,

Also shopping the 54-75 mm Pro Harware for fall at Higgs farm. Woohooo!
Pro 38 6XL

Not quite;
Most of the flavors that AMW/ Kosdon East had were Pauls.
Dr Frank never did colors.
AMW nozzles & bulkheads are different than Kosdon.
Kosdon never did 3" or 76/75 mm either....

We'll just have to wait & see on that.

JD

I got my 3rd level with a 3" Kosdon M2240.

Got a chance to see and fly some of the new Pro29 motors this weekend. I purchased a 4 grain case and a H170 Blue Steak load. Since the weather was nice I decided to use the H170 in my Sumo.
H170_Sumo.jpg

Robert DeHate gave Tony Vincent a F36 Blue Streak to try in his Semroc SLS Hustler.

Tonys_F36_Blue%20_Streak_SLS_Hustler.jpg

Since we are sharing pictures, Here's my Freaky Flyer on a pro 38 2 grain Skidmark.

I was very impressed. Easy clean up and easy to use. The roar from the motor was awesome. I went and bought like a dozen more reloads after that flight! I cant wait to try the 6grainXL in my rebuilt 3" rocket.

freaky skid 2 small.JPG

Wow - is that from a new batch or something? That has a LOT darker smoke than I've usually seen on the CTI skids (which is a great thing).

Wow - is that from a new batch or something? That has a LOT darker smoke than I've usually seen on the CTI skids (which is a great thing).

the 2nd pic looks like "the real thing" The first one looks darker.

Ben

Nice. I'll have to try one of those sometime :D

It certainly would :D

It won't happen too soon - I'm planning on using a new CTI Pro75-5g M motor this October, but maybe next year at some point. How heavy was your Competitor?

My Megablast with a I345 (Pro38-3G)

20_I345WW_Megablast_Flight.jpg

Minie Magg with a H400
H400_Mini_Magg.jpg

Howard launches a Pro54 J210 :D Nice long burn
J210_Black_Brant.jpg

Last edited:
My Competitor 4 fully load with motor, weighted in at 30 pounds. If you're going to fly a 5 grain 75mm 'M' motor I would suggest flying the M1315W instead. I used it for my L3 cert flight and it put my Competitor 4 up 16,345'.

Last edited:
Back