FSI - Nova (MRK-3 or #1003) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
FSINovaglamourshot.jpg

FSINovaignition.jpg

Original FSI Nova kit at NARAM 53.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corn-coloredNovaupscale.jpg

FSINovaupscaleliftoff.jpg

This is an as-yet unpainted upscale. Main tubes are BT-60 and BT-70 to give you an idea of the size. Great flight, but the idea of flying a cornstalk colored rocket in a cornfield wasn't one of my more well thought out ideas.:eek:
Anyway, I call this the Nova SS, and once it's painted I have an old scan from a Chevy Nova SS that will adorn one fin.

Last edited:
Corn-coloredNovaupscale.jpg

FSINovaupscaleliftoff.jpg

This is an as-yet unpainted upscale. Main tubes are BT-60 and BT-70 to give you an idea of the size. Great flight, but the idea of flying a cornstalk colored rocket in a cornfield wasn't one of my more well thought out ideas.:eek:
Anyway, I call this the Nova SS, and once it's painted I have an old scan from a Chevy Nova SS that will adorn one fin.

Nice looking rocket even without paint..I always liked the FSI stuff (those engines were beasts). My non rocket project is restoring a 1970 Chevy Nova. Your launch field appears to be massive!!!

Nice looking rocket even without paint..I always liked the FSI stuff (those engines were beasts). My non rocket project is restoring a 1970 Chevy Nova. Your launch field appears to be massive!!!

One of the guys I grew up with had a 1970 Nova. It was a dark blue 4-door with a 250 6-cylinder and he BABIED that car. He had a Cherry Bomb muffler put on it and he loved to throw it in neutral whenever we went through the underpass in Newport after a night on the town. He'd rev that poor little 6 and the sound would bounce off of the walls.:D He thought that was the coolest thing.
I'm trying to think of a way to incorporate the dark blue into this project. Right now I'm leaning toward a dark blue nose cone, transition and fin can, with the one fin left white for the Nova SS decal. It looks good in my head.:wink:

I late 2006 I began a project to clone every rocket model that FSI released.

My first entry: MRK-III FSI Nova.

Nova.jpg........DSCF0699.jpg

I just realized that I never updated the Nova SS with post-paint and decal pics.

DSC00827.jpg

NovaSSglamourshot.jpg

NovaSSliftoff.jpg

Welcome to the FSI Nova (MRK-3 or #1003) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the FSI Nova (MRK-3 or #1003) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

FSI: Nova: MRK-3 or #1003

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
FSI Nova (MRK-3 or #1003) Basic Information.

Flight Systems, Inc. (FSI)

MODEL NAME: Nova Also known as:

NUMBER: MRK-3 or #1003

Introduced: 1967
Final Year: 1994
Designer:

Type: Sport, Payload
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 425mm
Diameter: 29mm
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Nova, meaning the brightest star, is the aptly chosen name for this new kit. Being scientifically designed for high altitude flights, the Nova is truly a bright star in our new line of model rocket kits.

The Nova features easy to follow, step by step instructions plus all the equipment necessary for streamer recovery. The upper body section of the Nova incorporates a removable nosecone for access to the payload compartment. We feel confident that you will find the Nova an interesting and educational model rocket for all. (FSI 1967 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

fsi-nova%20mrkiii-1967%20cat.jpg
1967 Catalog

Face Card(s)

fsi-nova%20mrkiii-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

fsi-nova%20mrkiii-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Built in about the year 1970. You had to select which motor you were going to fly in this, so this one is ready for my favorite: E5-6. Knowing that the E5-6 was going to push this one beyond visual range, I opted never to actually fly it . . . yet.
Nova built.jpg

Back