Wireless launch system for R/C RBG’s (in Support & Recovery Forum)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgegassaway

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have made a post in the “Support and Recovery” forum, about a wireless relay launch system. I had a commercially made one a few years ago, which was nice while it lasted, but it went bad.

I finally have made a replacement, a better one, using an off the shelf receiver module and wireless transmitter, which has a range of 300 feet or so. And I added my own homemade “black box” to add in the use of a robust 30 amp relay, plus the parts I always use with any relay system I have used (a “FIRE” buzzer, and a continuity check).

So, why mention it here? Because the main reasons I have done relay systems before, and now, is for launching R/C RBG’s. The Chicago R/C R/G fliers, Ben Roberto and George Riebesehl (and later on, Kevin McKiou), popularized being able to launch their own in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s. They used foot switches and a lot of electric cord, so they could launch their own instead of needing someone to press the launch button. And that was pretty important when they would either be practice flying alone, or the two of them might practice fly together but it was wasteful for one to press the button while the other flew, when it was best for both to fly their models at the same time.

I went one step farther than they did, because they only used about 50 feet of wiring, but I like to stand pretty far back for E6 boost on high performance models that boost about 1000 feet. But it was not practical to transport a lot of heavy gauge wire, so I worked up a relay that could operate off of 200 feet of telephone wire.

Then in 2002, I went wireless, as that solved issues with people walking over the cords and wind shifts requiring a change in launch direction and where I stood, therefore moving the wires around. A few other R/C RBG fliers have also gone wireless, either using garage door type systems, or car alarm systems capable of remote starting of the car engine as Kevin Kuczek is using.

So, some of you who are into R/C RBG’s might find it worth considering using a wireless system to launch your own R/C RBG’s. So, here is a link to the thread:

https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=29325#post29325

Below, one pic of the new system, and an old pic of the original wireless system showing where the wireless transmitter was placed on my Futaba transmitter.

- George Gassaway

Attachments

• IMG_5649.jpg
    IMG_5649.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 2002WirelessSystem1.jpg
    2002WirelessSystem1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
A few other R/C RBG fliers have also gone wireless, either using garage door type systems, or car alarm systems capable of remote starting of the car engine as Kevin Kuczek is using.

A pic of my setup is attached also along with the small plastic carrying case. Here I purchased a used, but like new viper car alarm system and wired one of the aux outputs to an auto 30 amp relay(included in the viper kit) just like George. Need to choose the correct output here as some are pulsed and some latch as long as the tx is depressed.

The continuity circuit also sounds a buzzer when the relay is latched. To check continuity, there is a red LED that lights up.

I've tested mine to at least a 1000'...not that I'd be that far away for any of the rc glider stuff I do, but the range is pretty good.

KK

Viper-launcher.jpg

Last edited:
Back