Rustoleum 2X White Primer as a top coat?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Painting is not my strong suit, so a question for the experts... What is the downside of using Rustoleum 2X White Primer as my finish coat? I'm trying to achieve a flat finish, but more specifically in this application I have a portion of the rocket using the Rustoleum high heat (BBQ) enamel which is a flat white also. The cured finish looks identical for both. And, although the primer might not be a straight enamel as it sands so well wet or dry, but when I look at the specs for the Rustoleum 2X white flat (regular, not high heat) they look identical to the primer in terms of dry and recoat times. So, opinions?

Oh, and BTW, I am very pleased with the 2X white primer. Easy to use, dries fast, sands great. It is SO MUCH better than the Rustoleum Clean Metal White Primer.

Last edited:
I don't have it anymore, but I used to have a rocket painted with nothing but Rustoleum 2X White primer. The rocket looked fine to me. I say go for it!

I have used Krylon primer as a final coat over the years and had no problem with it. Recently I did some side-by-side comparisons of Krylon and Rustoleum 2X primers and decided I preferred the 2X.

Long story short, I can't think of any reason why you cannot use the 2X primer as a final coat.

You can buy flat white or even semi gloss. Both paints are very forgiving...nowadays you need a spray booth to get good results.

You can buy flat white or even semi gloss. Both paints are very forgiving...nowadays you need a spray booth to get good results.

As stated, my application is for flat. The question was really around why (or if) I need to purchase yet another can of white flat when the primer looks perfect.

I've never done that with rockets - but with other applications, I've found that primer does not have the durability as regular paint.

I've never done that with rockets - but with other applications, I've found that primer does not have the durability as regular paint.
Primers tend to be formulated more for adhesion properties than durability compared to topcoat products.

You could always just spray a dull coat over it...it might hold up longer and add some protection?

I have several with just 2x primer. It mars, marks & generally will not stay clean over time. For my applications .... I don't care.

What I don't get? Why not just paint the whole thing with the BBQ paint and be done with it.

Or is this an area 51 for the mach madness at TS-3? shhh!

By the way that's what I do now, just a couple of very light coats of 1800 degree header paint, wet sanded to a polished finish. 'taint nut'n smoooother!

What I don't get? Why not just paint the whole thing with the BBQ paint and be done with it.

Or is this an area 51 for the mach madness at TS-3? shhh!

By the way that's what I do now, just a couple of very light coats of 1800 degree header paint, wet sanded to a polished finish. 'taint nut'n smoooother!

Well, first part, I had the body masked off and painted the fins multi-color. They look good as is and with the right matching body color. And stepping back I thought if I tape off the fins and apply the flat I'm bound to screw it up. A bit of looking for a short cut I guess.

Second part, kinda... I had never used the BBQ paint as final finish so this becomes a quick test case for my Mach Madness entry which uses similar paint in a different color combo.

I found this also....I painted a nose cone with just white primer and it gets marked easily.

I don't care about little things like that so i just left it.......its up to you.

YO DIXON!
Why don't you just use matte spray over the primer?

Plain primer is not durable, prone to fingerprints and smudges. Matte spray will keep it non-gloss, and resolve those issues I listed.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Now stop teasing and post some GD pictures already :rant:

YO DIXON!
Why don't you just use matte spray over the primer?

Plain primer is not durable, prone to fingerprints and smudges. Matte spray will keep it non-gloss, and resolve those issues I listed.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

You are right on both counts.

Pictures coming soon in another thread.

YO DIXON!

Pictures of the application now posted over here. Last night as I looked closer to the primer coat, I can see that I can do much better (and it doesn't exactly match the BBQ paint either), so I will go with a coat of flat white and likely just buff it out a bit with Finesse-It.

Latest posts

Back