Any MPR Saturn V Kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quaranta

Reaction score
I'd love to build a high quality Saturn V (I love the sirius kit based on what I see on the web, but have never seen one in person). But I am not HPR Cert'd and my local field only allows up to G's. Seems an incredible waste to build something I won't fly.

I've built the estes kit,... but it got pinched in a move... and would prefer something bigger / higher quality if avail.

Any suggestions?

(side note: I'm building an LOC 4" V2 currently... I love scale!)

Apogee has one for a hundred bucks less but it's a 29mm. It's my understanding that this one is extremely detailed. Maybe some of the other guys will weigh in and give you the scoop on those. I am currently beefing up the Estes kit for mid power with resin cast fins & fairings and command module. I also beefed up the wraps where the LOX tunnels and complex raised areas are with an epoxy and mini Styrofoam pellet combo that really stiffens those up nicely. Of course you'll have to beef up the motor mount as well. Just my :2: worth.

Apogee's offering comes w/ a 29mm mount. Pricey but incredible.

Apogee has one for a hundred bucks less but it's a 29mm. It's my understanding that this one is extremely detailed. Maybe some of the other guys will weigh in and give you the scoop on those. I am currently beefing up the Estes kit for mid power with resin cast fins & fairings and command module. I also beefed up the wraps where the LOX tunnels and complex raised areas are with an epoxy and mini Styrofoam pellet combo that really stiffens those up nicely. Of course you'll have to beef up the motor mount as well. Just my :2: worth.

I found that and saw the 1:70 scale and assumed it was an H/I/J motor minimum.

It sure is light (17 oz). Has anyone one built one? Is it extremely fragile? At that weight,...

That is definitely a consideration.

Edit: OK read the reviews,... and everyone loves it. Reviews also say it's 39-42 oz. That seems more reasonable. Seems to fit my news perfectly. Big, impressive, detailed, and flies G's. Wife's going to roll her eyes,and the kids are going to be wide-eyed.

Any rec's on who to buy from?

Last edited:
Get Sirius Rocketry"s Saturn V!!!
Had the opportunity to see one of the prototypes fly last year.
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great vendor, fast service, you won't be sorry.
My 2 cents
Mark T

Get Sirius Rocketry"s Saturn V!!!
Had the opportunity to see one of the prototypes fly last year.
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great vendor, fast service, you won't be sorry.
My 2 cents
Mark T

won't fly on a big G will it?

The Apogee kit is Excellent, but plan on taking a lot of hours to build it. It is worth the time.

Mine has flown on CTI G126 with excellent results. Nice straight flights to about 500'

Saturn0004.jpg

With several not-really-major modifications involving an extra $30-40 of expense, the 1/100 Estes Saturn V can be uprated to fly on 29mm motors up to G's.

Or, the Apogee 1/70 is an option -- considerably more expensive, but also more detailed.

According to the Sirius website, they recommend their 1/64 Sat V fly ONLY on I284's.

The Apogee kit is Excellent, but plan on taking a lot of hours to build it. It is worth the time.

Mine has flown on CTI G126 with excellent results. Nice straight flights to about 500'

Thanks for the 1st hand review!

With several not-really-major modifications involving an extra $30-40 of expense, the 1/100 Estes Saturn V can be uprated to fly on 29mm motors up to G's.

Thanks,... but I want something bigger scale.

Or, the Apogee 1/70 is an option -- considerably more expensive, but also more detailed.

According to the Sirius website, they recommend their 1/64 Sat V fly ONLY on I284's.

RE. Sirius... that's my understanding as well. Its an HPR bird.

Does apogee have dealers or do I have to order direct from them? I like a deal... :D but willing to pay list if I don't have a choice. :eek:

I don't believe Apogee has any dealers. Direct it is.

I know it is well worth it.

But I'm a po'boy. :blush:

400 beans is a bit of scratch for something I plan to light on fire and shoot off into the sky. :eyepop::confused2::(

There's a vid on the Sirius site of it lawn darting too. What a shame.

Ray, did you do any mods to handle a G126? When I asked Tim about motors larger than recommended, he suggested a bit of extra stiffening of the centering rings.

Well,... I had the opportunity to see a Sirius kit. The Apogee kit looks nice,... but the Sirius kit looks like a Bentley.

Level 1 cert here I come!

Decision final! Ordered the Sirius Sat-V Kit with the chute pack today.

I found that and saw the 1:70 scale and assumed it was an H/I/J motor minimum.

It sure is light (17 oz). Has anyone one built one? Is it extremely fragile? At that weight,...

That is definitely a consideration.

Edit: OK read the reviews,... and everyone loves it. Reviews also say it's 39-42 oz. That seems more reasonable. Seems to fit my news perfectly. Big, impressive, detailed, and flies G's. Wife's going to roll her eyes,and the kids are going to be wide-eyed.

Any rec's on who to buy from?

Little late here....But my Estes Saturn V with nose weight is 17.2 oz

It can fly with Es and Fs now...

Back