Estes Pro Series II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

Reaction score
Well.. here we go..

Im going to start power building the four first midpower (Pro II) kits by Estes.

Im not going to be able to report back each step but I will try to update as I can.

The Ventris (Shown) and Partizon are first!

Grim

100_0797.jpg

100_0798.jpg

Hows the quality of the shock cord material? Looks kinda "soft" from the picture. I notice they use the standard try fold shock cord mount. That will work but wondering if you plan to use that?

Shock cord looks like elastic still --but it's hard for me to figure its length... have they finally made them long enough?

Interesting engine retainer...

Later!

--Coop

You and QQUAKE should hook up. You both are power builders. QQUAKE can build a rocket while I take a nap...LOL

Looking forward to see you paint jobs. You do great work!

Thank you for the pictures. I am going to get the Leviathan when they hit Hobbylinc. I need more 29 MM fliers. :)

First so nobody gets twisted on my views..

Im a professional model builder and work for the company that owns Estes. Having said this Im a rocket junky and will report back honest information.

To start..

Not kidding here..I feel I will be able to really use every part in the kit. I dont feel like i will need to substitute anything.

The plastic parts are VERY WELL DONE.. very clean and very little offset in the mold seam.

The shock cord is about 5/8" wide and around 7' long. I have a feeling the shock cord mount will be just fine.. Titebond II..

The fit on the airframe parts is "nice"... I love the fact they are 2” 2.5” and 3” parts in these kits.. TAKE THAT METRIC SYSTEM!

Laser cutting is clean and not over cooked.

Design is simple and clean. No frills and no non useable parts I have in a box like some of my other rockets.

Just so you know. I will not be glassing the parts on this build set. Im going to save that for another set in the future. I wanted to give these a dead nuts honest no frills build.. Having said this I will not back off on paint work.

Grimracer

So have you got it built yet? It's been a few hours since you started this build.

John Boren

I can't wait to get my hands on these Estes Pro series kits. I've been unable to find them anywhere yet. (seems every on-line dealer SOLD OUT!!) Been waiting a long time for 'good ol Estes' to step up, now that most of us that grew up with Estes kits have moved up to MPR/HPR.
The Higher price to pay for Estes name is worth it to get them "up and running"

However, I do wish their new Pro Series motors were alittle more affordable the F engines cost as much for 1 as a pair of similar Econojets. ($57 at hobbylinc, i believe)

I can't wait to get my hands on these Estes Pro series kits. I've been unable to find them anywhere yet. (seems every on-line dealer SOLD OUT!!) Been waiting a long time for 'good ol Estes' to step up, now that most of us that grew up with Estes kits have moved up to MPR/HPR.
The Higher price to pay for Estes name is worth it to get them "up and running"

The Pro Series II kits are available on the eHobbies website and the Estes website.

So far so good. I have two of them framed up and what a nice build this has been so far.

Im very sure all the parts will be used from the kits.. One very nice thing is the plywood fins on my rockets are DEAD NUTS FLAT.. very nice.

The parts fit is very nice

The motor retention is simple, modern and fits like a glove. (however I will not glue them on untill after painting)

John.. IM GOING AS FAST AS I CAN..lol:D

I will post pics soon.

Grimracer

never mind Question answered in the vendor section.

Last edited:
Would you mind posting a scan of the instructions for these kits?:confused:

When I go to the Estes website and select one of the pro series rockets and click on instructions it just re-directs me to the home page:mad:

rocketgeek101

Dog,

Estes and Hobbico are one.... But here is the gig..

Im going to Thunderstruck.. I will be showing and flying the rockets at that event. As much as this is fun its also somewhat work related.

Having said this.. These rockets are a perk of the job.. BUT the paint work is on my dime, and I dont use rattle cans.

I would be happy to post the instructions.

back to work today.. My only break will be at 7pm.. Columbo.. I never miss an episode.

Grim

Sorry I have not been able to post much on this. I have been busting it working on them.

I have two in primer and ready for second coat sanding. The other two have fillets in place and will get primer tomorrow.. I hope.. Our Rocket club has a meeting so im going to loose a night..

Grim

Nice looking rockets, the Leviathon kit looks pretty nice. Can these standard Aerotech 29mm engines or do you have to use the Estes Pro Series II engines? I agree, the price is a bit steep at $54 for an "F", and more for a "G" impulse engine. Using a $50+ single use engine in a $64 dollar rocket doesn't make much sense.
For $9.89 I can pop an RMS 29/40-120 with a G64-4W kit loaded in it and and save a wad of cash..... if it will fit??

Nice looking rockets, the Leviathon kit looks pretty nice. Can these standard Aerotech 29mm engines or do you have to use the Estes Pro Series II engines? I agree, the price is a bit steep at $54 for an "F", and more for a "G" impulse engine. Using a $50+ single use engine in a $64 dollar rocket doesn't make much sense.
For $9.89 I can pop an RMS 29/40-120 with a G64-4W kit loaded in it and and save a wad of cash..... if it will fit??

Estes Pro Series II 29mm engines are relabled Aerotech 29mm engines.

And the prices on the estes site include the hazmat shipping charge in with the cost of each motor. The actual cost is quite a bit more reasonable than they are shown.

:eyeroll:

Estes 29mm motors ARE Aerotech 29mm motors.

Estes MSRP is exactly the same as Aerotech MSRP. The prices are the same. Different sites will discount or add HAZMAT shipping in different ways. This does not change the identical basic MSRP.

Heya Mike,

Thanks for posting your builds and teasing us with these new Pro Series kits!

My Argent arrived yesterday; time permitting it will be assembled and RTF at Thunderstruck. If so, we could drag race....on H motors. You have to use that new-ish cert status for something you know!

Let's see...I have a pair of Aerotech H268 Redlines sitting idle at the moment; if you want to drag race, I'll provide the motors:D

By the way, are you painting these with the stock stuffer card schemes, or applying Grimracer Custom paint?

-Eric-

Heya Mike,

Thanks for posting your builds and teasing us with these new Pro Series kits!

My Argent arrived yesterday; time permitting it will be assembled and RTF at Thunderstruck. If so, we could drag race....on H motors. You have to use that new-ish cert status for something you know!

Let's see...I have a pair of Aerotech H268 Redlines sitting idle at the moment; if you want to drag race, I'll provide the motors:D

By the way, are you painting these with the stock stuffer card schemes, or applying Grimracer Custom paint?

-Eric-

Eric,

I wish I could get more info to you guys. The builds are going well and all rockets are in primer and two are in bace coat paint.

DARG RACE> YOU ARE ON.. No worrys about the cost.. Im in!

All the rockets will be custom paint. Not to wild.

I will FOR sure get pics up this weekend. Our club has a launch this weekend so thats going to cut into my time but for a good reasion!

Grim

Eric,

I wish I could get more info to you guys. The builds are going well and all rockets are in primer and two are in bace coat paint.

DARG RACE> YOU ARE ON.. No worrys about the cost.. Im in!

All the rockets will be custom paint. Not to wild.

I will FOR sure get pics up this weekend. Our club has a launch this weekend so thats going to cut into my time but for a good reasion!

Grim

Cool! Drag race it is; I have two sets of hardware if you need to borrow a 29/360 case! Now I have to build and paint the Argent in a few short days!

-Eric-

OK fellas.. here we go.

Let me introduce you to the

LEVIATHAN

This rocket is held by the beautiful Sheila.

Because Im such a freak for Yellow Black and White this rocket was screaming for those colors. Its the shortest in the Pro II line but not at all short on looks!

This is a great looking rocket. I love the fin shape!

Grim

100_0811.jpg

Next we have the Ventris.

This I had a hard time feeling out a paint job on this one so just whipped up the same simple scheme but with a color change.

Let me know what you think!

Grim

100_0819.jpg

Next we have the Argent.

I really like this rocket and thought it might look good as a military missile.

This rocket is light and long. I really like it.

Grim

100_0816.jpg

Last we have the Partizon.

This rocket is very clean in design and long and lean. The 3 fin design and light weight.. this thing is going to SCREAM!

Let me know what you think.

Grim

100_0821.jpg

Back