New FORMULA 98 from Rocketry Warehouse

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh, this or a Pro Series II ? Think I will take the one with decals.. .

Gee, think I am drooling over the accessory pack more - is that available seperately ?

Think this will promote some more engine sales. . . .

Kenny

Last edited:
Here is my finished FORMULA 98, All loaded up with everything but the motor mine came in at 10.6lbs.

014-1.jpg

015-4.jpg

016-2.jpg

017-2.jpg

018-2.jpg

019-1.jpg

013-3.jpg

012-3.jpg

One thing I'd highly recommend for these paint-less kits is the Proline 4500 Epoxy, This stuff is just incredible, With the black G12 fins and the colored tubes it looks awesome and is a dream to work with.
proline-4500-qt.jpg

Great job Gary - as usual ;)

When you wet-sanded everything out, did you said the fillets or just leave them alone? I'm doing the ones on my '75' now.

Thanks Guys, Stan I don't touch the fillets, With the Proline epoxy there's no need.

I would nto use JB weld for fillets. My experience is it is more brittle than the ProLine high temp.

This kit is very tempting...at that price point it's a very good purchase.

A good idea for this kit may be to request it with a single 40" length of tube. The nosecone shoulder would then turn into the altimeter bay, with the nosecone void acting as your main parachute bay. At apogee the cone would come off, and at main deployment the nosecone would slide off of the coupler.

Doing this modification would allow for much longer motors. Couple it with a mod to 76mm and you could fly this guy on a 76-6000 motor to very high altitudes.

Beautiful job Gary!

I'm not ready for the 98, but I might have to get a 54 soon like this fall, black Friday time frame maybe...

<Must not spend money on rockets right now....must not spend money on rockets right now...must not spend money on rockets right now...>

This is a really nice Rocket. Gary, your build is amazing. I think I need to get one of these.

Thanks T-Rex & Jiffy.

My original plan was to fly it at Red Glare for its 1st flight, But this weekend is METRA's 1st launch of the season so It's going up this Sat 1st then RG.

For this Sat it'll be flying on a CTI 3G 54 J760WT, Approx Alt 4500'

Mine arrives on Thursday. Blueberry to go with my tangerine 75. Gary One question is there a switch band for the coupler? If not howd you set up your switch?

Thanks, John Metcalf
TRA L2 13081

John:
There's no switch band, I use push button switches that are mounted to the Av-Bay sled, You can line it up with your vent hole or just drill a small hole where needed, Personally I was never a fan of switch bands.

Here is a pic of my VORLON 5 rockets sled, Its a a 5" but same principle.

VORLON520.jpg

All my HP DD rockets have switch bands and a 110/220 switch.

I considered ordering a section of colored tubing and cutting a section.

But I'll just cut an inch off the longest body and expoxy to coupler. Rocksim sim seems unchanged by this alteration.

Anyway my order arrives in 4 days, lemon like my formula 54.

Mine arrives on Thursday. Blueberry to go with my tangerine 75. Gary One question is there a switch band for the coupler? If not howd you set up your switch?

Thanks, John Metcalf
TRA L2 13081

Gary,

Did you make the silver plate that holds down your wires?

Chuck

All my HP DD rockets have switch bands and a 110/220 switch.

I considered ordering a section of colored tubing and cutting a section.

But I'll just cut an inch off the longest body and expoxy to coupler. Rocksim sim seems unchanged by this alteration.

Anyway my order arrives in 4 days, lemon like my formula 54.

Call and ask. I did and I got a color matched switchband and a longer coupler to go with it.

Mine arrived on time and what a beauty. I also asked for a matching switch band and they packed it. Great guys there and the pieces are a great fit. Ready to build my workhorse. This fits a real sweet spot for dual deployment and the lesser expensive motor sizes.

John Metcalf
TRA L2 13081

Gary, what is your suggestion for the type, size and length for the shock cord for both sections?

I hope the launch went well today. If you have a chance, please give us an update.

Thanks

John Metcalf
TRA L2 13081

John:
Any of the usuals will work fine, 1/2", 9/16" flat or tubular nylon or 1/4" tubular Kevlar, RW has some really nice 1/2" Flat nylon rated at 1750lbs that comes in all the same kit colors as well, I'm not sure if its on the web site yet but just call and they can assist.

For the lengths a few things have to be considered, The blow it up or blow it out adage doesn't work so well with short shock cords, I recommend you calculate exactly what you need for BP first, For my upper section on the F98 I use either 20-25' shock cord.

As for the aft section that depends on whether I'm using a drogue or not, While using a drogue I'll go with 20-25' SC, If drogue less then I'll go with a longer shock cord like 30', Reason being is it gives me a bit more drag and keeps the upper & lower sections from banging into one another on a 5000' drop.

Back