Fin Jig

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newt0n

Reaction score
Hey guys

While I am not currently working on a rocketry project, though I will be beginning my certification 1 rocket very soon, I decided since I had some time off from school during spring break to construct a fin jig to help me with my future projects. I wanted to create something that I could use on a variety of projects, thus the jig is completely customizable, capable of satisfying fins in a variety of shapes and sizes. I tested it out on a spare 1/8in G10 fiberglass fin I had cut during the construction process of a rocket I had previously made and was very satisfied with he results.

Thanks Yall :)

IMAG0579.jpg

IMAG0580.jpg

IMAG0581.jpg

IMAG0582.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

What are the dimensions and do you have a part list? I might make one of those.

What are the dimensions and do you have a part list? I might make one of those.

The platform itself is made out of 1/2" MDF board, the rest of it was simply just some spare wood I had in my garage ranging from 1/2" by 2" oak for the back plate and 1/4" by 1/2" wood trim. The entire assembly itself is about 18" long.

Looks good. I don't like sanding bevels. OK I don't like sanding anything so I use a small table saw to cut my bevels.

Awesome setup! I think i'll give that a shot as well, what angle do you usually set the table saw to when cutting the fins?

I set the angle using the wooden "guide" for lack of a better term. The guide I use most is around 12 degrees. It takes a bit of trial and error so I use a piece of scrap to get the guide the right distance from the blade. Once it's set it takes about a minute to bevel 3-4 fins. I've done plywood, G10, G10 covered carbon fiber and basswood with the table saw method.

Back