Question on Krylon paint/clear combination

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratos283

Reaction score
Our Big Daddy is the first rocket I've built since the 80's with waterslide decals. I know the floor polish is the preferred method of most, but I want to try the Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Gloss 51301 as a final finish just once. I will be applying it over Krylon True Blue Gloss 51910. I think the blue is lacquer enamel, and was just wondering if it is compatible with the clear acrylic.

I tried the clear over some cheap Wal-Mart generic red on a Patriot a few months ago, and had terrible "lift" or orange peel. Had to clean and sand the mess off and just went back with the red without the clear. I just want to make sure the same thing doesn't happen on my "Dad".

Thanks,

Stratos283

Last edited:
Our Big Daddy is the first rocket I've built since the 80's with waterslide decals. I know the floor polish is the preferred method of most, but I want to try the Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Gloss 51301 as a final finish just once. I will be applying it over Krylon True Blue Gloss 51910. I think the blue is lacquer enamel, and was just wondering if it is compatible with the clear acrylic.

I tried the clear over some cheap Wal-Mart red on a Patriot a few months ago, and had terrible "lift" or orange peel. Had to clean and sand the mess off and just went back with the red without the clear. I just want to make sure the same thing doesn't happen on my "Dad".

Thanks,

Stratos283
Now a days I'm scarred to put anthing over krylon. It just is a bit too unpredictable for me. I've had mixed results with K paint and K clear even after following the directions to a T . So I would'nt suggest it.Strangely, I've had different results with different colors--so for me --it's a crap shoot.

Now a days I'm scarred to put anthing over krylon. It just is a bit too unpredictable for me. I've had mixed results with K paint and K clear even after following the directions to a T . So I would'nt suggest it.Strangely, I've had different results with different colors--so for me --it's a crap shoot.

Same here WRT Krylon. I always have great success with the Testor's Wet Look Lacquer, but it's way expensive if painting HPR sized stuff. Amazingly, it seems to work over both enamels AND lacquers. YMMV...

FWIW I'm tending to stay away from Krylon, period. It used to be the goto paint, but I have had nothing but problems with new Krylon if I don't let the paint cure/dry for at least a month.

How about spraying on some Future floor polish instead of some Krylon product? I'd still wait at least a couple of weeks for the Krylon base coat to cure/dry before applying Future.

-Wolf

I've hear several people mention the Future floor polish mixed with Simple Green. What is the best way to apply it? Does it need to be sprayed on with an airbrush, or can it be mixed in a spray bottle and then just sprayed on like you would spray Windex on a window?? I'm assuming I could put it over an existing clear coat?

I think there was an article written years ago, maybe in Sport Rocketry, about the joys of painting with acrylic paints and Future. I think he applied the paints with a foam brush. But I'm not so good with a foam brush, so using an airbrush or even a Preval sprayer is the way to go for me.

Here's a Future link for that gloss acrylic clear coat:
https://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

I've hear several people mention the Future floor polish mixed with Simple Green. What is the best way to apply it? Does it need to be sprayed on with an airbrush, or can it be mixed in a spray bottle and then just sprayed on like you would spray Windex on a window?? I'm assuming I could put it over an existing clear coat?

See Discussion Here.

Back