Rocket jargon.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthgriffin

Reaction score
I've seen a couple of acronyms in these boards that I haven't figured out and I'd like someone to point them out for me. The first is CA and it was not used in the context of California. The second was CWF. Thanks.

I've seen a couple of acronyms in these boards that I haven't figured out and I'd like someone to point them out for me. The first is CA and it was not used in the context of California. The second was CWF. Thanks.
This should get you started.
  • 3FNC=3 Fins and a Nose Cone
  • 4FNC=4 Fins and a Nose Cone
  • BT=Body Tube
  • CA=Cyanoacrylate, i.e. Super Glue, Hot Stuff, etc.
  • CF=Carbon fiber
  • CWF=Carpenters Wood Filler (Elmer's)
  • DD=Dual Deploy
  • FG=Fiberglass
  • NC=Nose Cone
  • OR=Open Rocket (freeware sim program)
  • RS=RocSim (commercial sim program from Apogee)
  • TMTG=Titebond Molding & Trim Glue

Is that the same as the Elmer's wood glue I'm using, or is that a special product?
The original name of the product was Fill 'n Finish. Then they changed the name to Carpenter's Wood Filler. It comes in tubes and tubs. It's not a glue.

Basically, it's a wood putty that you apply to wood to fill the grain. Sand it off and repeat until you're satisfied with the surface.

I mix mine with water to bring the consistency down to something like mustard. Kinda looks like mustard, too. Grey Poupon. There are many ways to apply it. I use my finger tip but the stuff dries out very quickly and clumps. Most folks who fill the seams in the body tubes use this stuff for that purpose.

You don't realize how much 'short hand' ( really-how many people even KNOW what THAT means???) we speak as we communicate thru the cloud. Many of the accepted and oft-repeated phrases get condensed and made faster to get your idea across quickly and (if possible) accurately. Abbreviations such as CR (centering rings) mean something completely different to somebody discussing metallurgy. Usually you can figure it out contextually, but I'm schooling a complete computer newbie and he has NO clue about our 'code' we use all the time in e-mails. BRB, IMO, YMMV, IIRC, are all hard to figure out because if you have no experience, it's as good as Greek. A perfect example (old timer story alert!) was on the Atlas program. An engineer popped her head into our cubicle with a priority job and rattled off some parameters and concerns. We had brought in another engineer to help with the work load and he was just getting familiar with all the systems and blueprints. As she finished her breathless recount of what needed to be done, he looked up at her and exclaimed: "You didn't use two words in English and none of us here are immigrants!" we all 'rotflmao' and decoded it for him. From then on his nickname was "Alien". The point is experience and time help, but if you don't know- never be afraid to ask.

Pippen is right, EMRR is the place to go for this sort of thing. They (and all the contributors) put a lot of work into that list.

(Pssst----if you want to have a little fun, just ask what "CATO" stands for....)

Pippen is right, EMRR is the place to go for this sort of thing. They (and all the contributors) put a lot of work into that list.

(Pssst----if you want to have a little fun, just ask what "CATO" stands for....)
Or "BFR"

And after that, for more fun ask what qualifies as a BFR.

I had to click the link to find out what EMRR stands for.

Considering how much I've been looking into launching at El Mirage, I should have figured that out.

For my first 6 months on TRF, I thought that TTW meant it was break time and time to go "TO THE WINE". So as you'll see, all my build threads have a glass of wine in them along the way:wink:

For my first 6 months on TRF, I thought that TTW meant it was break time and time to go "TO THE WINE". So as you'll see, all my build threads have a glass of wine in them along the way:wink:

You mean it doesn't mean that? (hic):cheers:

I'm not as thunk as you drink I am!

No, it means Test The Warranty.

Also, depending on context:

Tamp The Wadding
Try The Wasabi

Last edited:
BOW--box-o-wine-----GOW--glass-o-wine-----OOW--out-o-wine----GTS--going -2-store---- DUI--dummy under interogation-- WHY? because you were stupid you drunk dummy

Personally, I think we should all join AAAAA

American Association Against Acronym Abuse

Meanwhile, once at work I was in a meeting and stated: "You can run an ATP for the TMC on the ITC without a TCI." The sad part is everyone did know what I was talking about

CATO = Cato At Take Off.

you can't use the word you are defining in the definition of the word.

otherwise it is a meta definition in a closed loop.

~yo dawg, i heard you like CATOs, so I put a CATO in your CATO so you can CATO while you CATO.~

P

Back