Possible MMX Parasite Glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look a bit smaller then needed for use with micro's.

Parasite gliders to fly on our models really need a bit more size just so they can be seen in the air. I'm sure they will work on a T-2+ size motor ship like my tiny OT. but as with it...you'll need several additional sets of eyes watching to have a chance a recovery for another flight. Perhaps we could slightly Upscale this little jewel for the purpose.

I love the tiny gliders on the flis 3's-A-Charm but as mentioned if you don't have lots of eyes at the field it makes a lot of sense to have several replacements in the model box if you plan of flying it more then once. Even with 10-15 people watching I lost one of the charms gliders on the first flight. found it later in the day but if I hadn't made and extra set that model would have been stuck back in the box after just one time up.

Conversely flying the T3 size MM Lunar Patol with it's two T3 size gliders are pretty easy to see in the air and on the ground. Bright colors are the rule regardless especially in longer grass and weeds.

Perhaps you could post the PDF plan for the micro shuttle. I don't see to be able to open it from your link.

220a1-sm_MM OrbitalTransport_11-12-99.jpg

318p10-sm_MM Lunar Patrol 2-Glider (115dpi)_07-29-06.jpg

365p01_MM 3's A Charm (Flis 3 glider Micro AirShow)_03-30-10.jpg

Hmmm... I wonder why the link's not working for you. :confused:
I don't have an Instructables membership, but here's the important part; the pattern. Rather than trying to draw it out, I would suggest just printing the pattern, and spray painting over it.
Other things you need to know: the top of the glider must touch the fold. (It is two layers of paper.) The other tricky part is the tail assembly, so I took a screenshot of that. Also, if you upscale it say, 2X, use two staples instead of one.
Fortunately these aren't too hard to make, so you can prepare plenty of extras. :)

Mini Space shuttle.jpg

Mini Space Shuttle tail assembly.jpg

WOW, teeny tiny. Cool idea except ,I can't even see my own fingertips.But it would be fun to try.

i tried it and it wasnt worth it. i tried all of the instructables posted by him and the best, by far, is the sailplane. the space shuttle just tumbled like a leaf. i added more staples, didnt help

something i did do, however, was this one

https://www.instructables.com/id/Introduction_5/

i did the one on the 10th pic on step 6, but i added a mmx motor mount
(evil laugh)

top view
SUNP0031.jpg

and bottom. i added the yellow piece of paper to make the color contrast. same with the launch lug
SUNP0032.jpg

Last edited:
i tried it and it wasnt worth it. i tried all of the instructables posted by him and the best, by far, is the sailplane. the space shuttle just tumbled like a leaf. i added more staples, didnt help

something i did do, however, was this one

https://www.instructables.com/id/Introduction_5/

i did the one on the 10th pic on step 6, but i added a mmx motor mount
(evil laugh)

top view
SUNP0031.jpg

and bottom. i added the yellow piece of paper to make the color contrast. same with the launch lug
SUNP0032.jpg

Nice! :D Have you flown it yet? I have a little MMX Saturn 1B in the works, but haven't decided if I'll ever fly it.
I never did get around to trying the mini shuttle.

no, i have to order some mmx engines first. wheres the cheapest place to get them?

ive never had any before. i found some dimensions online and cut a dowel to size.

i also have a lower stage that i built for any mmx model i want to make a 2 stage and it fits this thing perfectly. ill have to post some pics of it later

HobbyLinc seems to have a pretty good price on them. I know Fliskits sells them too. Maybe one of the regular micro flyers can tell you where the best price is.
I've never flown MMX either, I just couldn't resist building that little 1/480th Saturn 1B!
By the way, what size launch lug is that?

its hand rolled. im not sure what size it is, but it barely fits over my mmx launch rod(welding rod)

Back