Crystal Clear - Enamel or Acrylic?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neond7

Sky Pirate
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was at Wal-Mart today to pick up another can of Krylon primer and noticed a Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear.

I had been having fair results with Rustoleum Enamel Crystal Clear. I had tried the Krylon Fusion clear but found it didn't give a very deep or smooth finish on my Phoenix. After a few days to fully cure, I crossed my fingers and put a few coats of the Enamel clear over the Fusion clear and nothing weird happened.....it did gloss it up a bit better.

So are there any advantages of an Acrylic vs an Enamel clear coat? I"ll be painting my LOC IV tomorrow using Krylon Fusion (my wife liked the purple color). Not sure which clear coat I'll use yet....

I'm kinda in the same boat Neond7. At least a similar boat anyway. The Krylon paint I'm using is described as a lacquer enamel, while the clear Krylon I want to try is an acrylic. Judging from the two responses to my post above, I believe I'm a little too barn-yard birded to try it.

Stratos283

I have used the Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel extensively and swear by it rather than at it.

It levels nicely and is quite durable.

The attached image is a scratch built rocket made from LOC 54mm tubing and painted with Rustoleum Fluorescent Pink and trimmed with Rustoleum Metallic Midnight Black. I applied several coats of Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel to put a gloss on the otherwise matte fluoro pink. I think it turned out pretty nicely considering it's all rattlecan paint.

I have used the Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel extensively and swear by it rather than at it.

It levels nicely and is quite durable.

The attached image is a scratch built rocket made from LOC 54mm tubing and painted with Rustoleum Fluorescent Pink and trimmed with Rustoleum Metallic Midnight Black. I applied several coats of Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel to put a gloss on the otherwise matte fluoro pink. I think it turned out pretty nicely considering it's all rattlecan paint.

That does have a nice sheen to it. Think I'll take this can of Krylon 51301 Clear Acrylic back to Wally World and look for the Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel. I will feel more comfortable pulling the trigger on the clear if they both say enamel on the can. I'm just afraid the acrylic will melt the enamel or vice versa.

Sorry for the hijack Neond7.

Stratos283

I dont know if you guys have tryd valspar spray paint and clear coats but it is great stuff in my book.wont use anythin else.from lowe's

I've tried all of them and they all have thier merits.That said the rusto is hands down the best in my book--levels nicely and is durable. Krylon seems to give me a problem occasionally getting it even--pilot error. The Valspar is great stuff and glass smooth. The only problem I've run into with it was when I painted one of my birds gloss black with rusto, applied decals and went back over it with Val clear---looked awsome--A few days later I had to mask some areas for detail paint. When I pulled the blue 3m painters tape up, the clear Val came with it. I figured the Rusto had such a hard slick finish that the Val had nothing to grab on to.

Back