Shockwave 29: Finished!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that looks great!

Hopefuly you get it back so you can fly it more than once! :p

:D

Bryce
Hopefully... I'll be pretty pissed if it disappears and never comes back. Hopefully someone will spot it. I might try a G106 skid if I get it back in one peice!

Heck, If I had a tracker I'd put her up on an I200 without a second thought!

Nice :clap:

Real nice dude!

Thanks guys! For the compliments and the clapping :clap:

Alex

Took some higher quality photos today.
Do you guys think I should do more accents with the monokote or leave it like it is?
IMG_4881.jpg
IMG_4889.jpg
IMG_4879.jpg
IMG_4887.jpg
Homeade "decal" Messed up a bit on some letters. I need to better my Exact-o Knife skills. It's nice and shiny!

I have an emergency blanket (very reflective) That I will use to make a fleet of streamers.

What do you guys think?

Alex

Wow. Realized I never posted a launch report for this thing!
Here goes:

Flew this thing for the first time at Hellfire17, early August.
Loaded up the H410 and set it out on the tower on the away pads. The delay didn't need any adjusting so I never touched it. I poured some a good amount of tracking powder into the hollow NC, along with my mylar streamer and 7ft of 750lb Kevlar cord.
RSO counted 5,4,3,2,1 and then it was gone.

[YOUTUBE]eBUlO3wBkzw[/YOUTUBE]

Arrow straight boost to an estimated 5400 feet. Actually, I was able to visually track it for most of the assent.
At apogee, the orange tracking powder was very visible. The rocket though, wasn't
. I could still see the reflective mylar streamer hanging in the air and a little tiny black dot falling below it. The ejection charge had somehow torn the streamer from the shock cord.
The good news is that I found it. The bad news is I found it in several pieces. The motor had also kicked out at apogee and free fell all the way to the ground. (dont worry, the case is totally fine!)
The nosecone tip broke completely off from the 5000 foot free fall. More info on that later.

IMG_5444.jpg
Picture showing NC damage.

All in all, not a bad flight! At least I got the booster and casing back in one piece!

More on the NC

More about the NC repair.
I didnt want to spend another $20 to buy a new NC so I tried fixing it myself.
The idea was create a new NC tip using carbon fiber, graphite, epoxy and a little paper cone.
I didnt take many pictures so you guys will just have to use your imagination.

First I drilled a hole from the tip of the NC, forward. This made the entire cone hollow so I could pour my epoxy.
Next, I made a small paper cone from printer paper, designed to match the angle of the tip that I wanted.
I filled the paper cone and nosecone hole with chopped carbon fiber.
The paper cone was taped onto the broken section of the NC. I wrapped plastic wrap around the cone to make sure the epoxy didnt leak
I mixed epoxy with graphite (so I could see if there was any leaks) and poured it into the NC
After 12 hours I removed most of the paper from the cone. I sanded the rest smooth.
Doesnt look bad!
IMG_5449.jpg

After that, I filled, primed and painted the cone. This time I went with a gloss red.

IMG_5462.jpg

I also painted the one other fin the same gloss red.

IMG_5467.jpg

Repaired, repainted, and ready to fly again!

IMG_5466.jpg

Alex

I will be building something like that in the near future. Probably just a wrap of FG will be it.
H410?
Oh yeah!

Are you sure the delay didn't need adjusting? It might have stripped the mylar due to an early deployment or something of the sort.

Back