ACME Rocket scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyno

Reaction score
At Christmas this year our club entered a float into a Christmas PArade that had Wile E. Coyote sitting on an ACME Rocket. This gave me an idea. I am going to try to duplicate the idea for an ACME Rocket that would fly. Below are pictures of the inspiration for the float, the float itself and my Open Rocket design. The base of the nose cone is 8.5" in diameter, The big air frame is a 5.5" tube and the smaller tube is a 3" tube.

ACME.png

ACMEFloat.jpg

ACMEOpenRocket.jpg

That's an awesome design, brings me back to the good'ol days;) I want a video of that rocket when you fly it! Look forward to seeing some construction photos

Machet

Right now I have made the nose cone. Use my power drill as a lathe. I think it came out pretty good. Going to fiberglass it this week.

IMAG0704.jpg

Wow didn't see that. Guess I have some reading ahead of me.

Well I got the nosecone glassed and shoulder attached. I also started filling in the spirals on the larger air frame.

ForumRunner_20120319_011925.png

ForumRunner_20120319_012004.jpg

Last edited:
Thats awesome, Glen, didn't know you had gotten started on this! Drive on, big fella!

I have fins cut out and leading edge rounded. Then I'll start on motor mount. I'll get pics posted soon. I plan on building the fin can outside the air frame.

Here's the fins attached to the fin can. In the second picture looks like a bug decided to see if he could swim in epoxy.

ForumRunner_20120410_102734.png

ForumRunner_20120410_102813.png

Last edited:
Keep plugging away, Glen. Looking good, buddy. I have gotten a lot of hitch-hikers on my rockets finish, but never on an inside glue joint like that. Hilarious! John.

That is so incredibly awesome! Brings back a lot of childhood memories.

Ok I couldn't help and it. I had to dry fit everything to see how things are looking. I think it will be cool. I am going to use a launch lug cut in half and place 1/2 on a fin and the other half on the 5.5" air frame tube. I will also be drilling a hole and inserting a lug into the nosecone. I just dont feel comfortable with a 1.5" stand off on the large air frame and a 2.75" stand off on the smaller air frame. If anyone has any thoughts on this I am open to suggestions.

IMAG0731.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good, Glen! What size motor mount did you go with? That baby is bigger than I had envisioned it. Any idea of what the weight is so far?

jungmann1 said:
Looking good, Glen! What size motor mount did you go with? That baby is bigger than I had envisioned it. Any idea of what the weight is so far?

It's a 38 mm. Right now it's looking to be around 7lbs Without the motor. I will have a more exact weight once I get everything epoxied together and painted. Probably going up on an I211 or I284.

Last edited:
I know its been awhile since I've posted anything so here's an update...assembly is pretty much complete ...entire rocket is primed and I have the nose cone and fins painted. I will get pics posted as soon as I get them downloaded.

I finally have it painted. Just need to apply some decals and add nose weight add I should be ready to launch it by July 8th. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

ForumRunner_20120629_003047.png

Looking great, Glen, can't wait to see that one rip! You need to build something to drag race it against, something that will invoke the road runner! Meep, meep!!

What is the motor mount size? If you think it can take as low as a G, you could but a Roadrunner G80 to keep with the theme.

It's a 38mm. I will probably be putting it up on an I364FJ. Once everything is said and done and I have a final weight, I may decide to go with an I600R so it will be a little quicker off the pad.

Thanks for all the comments I appreciate it. This was my first totally scratch built rocket.

Not sure how I missed this before today. AMAZING rocket! Well done!

Back