Peel Ply alternatives

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
Are there any peel ply alternatives available? I'm ordering FG but the place that I'm ordering from does not carry peel ply. I don't want to fork over the $10 to ship 2 more yards of peel ply from another web store. Has anyone looked into alternatives?

Alex

I've heard of ripstop nylon being used. Obviously non-porous. Can anyone else confirm this. I now have an abundance of the material. FYI, I made a couple small (.3" I.D.) tubes from fiberglass sleeve for use in my 4" darkstar ebay last night. I wrapped the wetted out glass with cheap electrical tape. Epoxy didn't stick to the adhesive on the tape! Tape was still sticky when I pulled the cured resin off!

Polyester is what I use for peel ply. It is also called dacron. I get mine from Aircraft Spruce. It's also what I used to cover my airplane.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/fabric.html

The one at the top of the page is what I use. It's actually made for aircraft covering, they just recently started calling it peel ply.

Tony is correct that you can get 100% polyester from a fabric store and it works just as well. There is no need for a special coating as epoxy will not stick to polyester.

I'm not sure about the rip stop nylon but suspect that epoxy will not stick to it either, but I would want it to be pourous to let the excess epoxy out so that the fabric would get all the way down tight against the glass cloth. This does two things, presses the glass down smooth and wicks the glue up to the top of the glass. All this make a much smoother finnish than a lay up without peel ply. So that you dont sand away half of your glass just to get down to the glue.

Back