Centuri - Satellite 62SL (KM-2 or #5302) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
I first saw a picture of the Centuri Satellite 62SL model in the 1973 Centuri catalog.

My brother and I each purchased one of these models (along with a Nova, Fireflash & Mini-Dactyl) at a local drug store. These models used the Centuri Mini-Motors.

The Satellite could be built with either three or four legs/antennae. On mine some of it was painted and some of it was finished with black Magic Marker. :rolleyes: :D

Centuri Satellite 62SL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That little rocket has always interested me. Nice job.

I was working on a full sized carded model of this one.
I'd better get back to work on it!

Can you imagine this one flown with a Centuri 13mm B4-7?
The Centuri instructions said it would reach 1,650 feet!

Is there any relationship between this model and the one the Custom used to make. I think it was the Galileo.

Is there any relationship between this model and the one the Custom used to make. I think it was the Galileo.

The Galileo was Custom's version of a dowel finned rocket. The difference was the Galileo had a shroud for the body. Many times rocket companies will copy other companies rockets and come out with their version. Case in point Estes has the Big Bertha and Quest has the Big Betty. Custom has different versions of various Estes rockets in their fleet.

I had one of those way back when - it exploded :cry: up near apogee - cant remember the motor that was in it. Been meaning to clone/semi-clone that the last year or 3

Interesting little rocket. It's been in my clone build queue for quite awhile. It's nice to finally see a built one; I hadn't done that until now. Nice build, Bob. :)

Interesting little rocket. It's been in my clone build queue for quite awhile. It's nice to finally see a built one; I hadn't done that until now. Nice build, Bob. :)

Thanks! :)

It's so simple even a 12 year old can build it. ;)

Hi Bob,
Question about the wrap -
In your picture I can see the 62SL name is printed in blue.
It looks like the short center lines in the "boxes" at the top are also blue.

Is there any other blue print on the metallic wrap?
All I have to work with is the black and white scan from an online plan.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Centuri Satellite 62SL (KM-2 or #5302) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the MFG MOD NUM and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Satellite 62SL: KM-2 or #5302

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Satellite 62SL (KM-2 or #5302) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

MODEL NAME: Satellite 62SL Also known as:

NUMBER: KM-2 or #5302

Introduced: 1973
Final Year: 1979
Designer:

Type: Oddroc
Motor Mount:
Recovery: Dowel-Copter
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Spins down like a copter, after engine ejection. Includes precision Molded Nose Cone. Long wooden "Antenna" Fins (use 3 or 4). Chrome decals. No painting required. (Centuri 1973 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

centuri-satellite%2062sl%20km2-1973%20cat.jpg
1973 Catalog

Face Card(s)

centuri-satellite%2062sl%20km2-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

centuri-satellite%2062sl%20km2-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back