Gorilla Glue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to make some fins out of foam board after hearing what everyone had to say about it on a previous post I did. Also because I needed to add so much nose weight to the front of the rocket to make it stable, the foam is much lighter requiring much less nose weight.
And, the balsa fins I had cut and was prepping warped way beyond use, even after laminating them with poster board card stock.
So I am adding a balsa strip to the 3 sides of the fins (not root edge) and I'm running low on epoxy. So I hit the shop and found some Gorilla Glue.
Anyone think that this may be a bad choice?
Don't see what difference it would make, just open cell foam board with paper backings. And on a previous email AK models said they use Gorilla Glue for their glue ups.

And, has anyone used Gorilla Glue for anything on their builds?
I know it foams up and expands, which causes another problem since you can't really clamp the foam board without denting the heck out of. But it does sand a whole lot easier than epoxy.
I still plan on using epoxy to mate the fins to the paper body tube and for the fillets.
Have a great weekend everyone!

I decided to make some fins out of foam board after hearing what everyone had to say about it on a previous post I did. Also because I needed to add so much nose weight to the front of the rocket to make it stable, the foam is much lighter requiring much less nose weight.
And, the balsa fins I had cut and was prepping warped way beyond use, even after laminating them with poster board card stock.
So I am adding a balsa strip to the 3 sides of the fins (not root edge) and I'm running low on epoxy. So I hit the shop and found some Gorilla Glue.
Anyone think that this may be a bad choice?
Don't see what difference it would make, just open cell foam board with paper backings. And on a previous email AK models said they use Gorilla Glue for their glue ups.

And, has anyone used Gorilla Glue for anything on their builds?
I know it foams up and expands, which causes another problem since you can't really clamp the foam board without denting the heck out of. But it does sand a whole lot easier than epoxy.
I still plan on using epoxy to mate the fins to the paper body tube and for the fillets.
Have a great weekend everyone!

I have not used the brown stuff for my rocket builds but I do use the Wood Glue formula of Gorilla Glue, which I like very much.

+1 on the G wood glue. fwiw- used the epoxy in the syringe blister pack for a repair on my son's turn signal stalk (don't ask- the dummy broke it off) and was really surprised. It sets up to a tuff-flexible (or at least non-brittle) bond functional enuff until we could replace the whole module. Build on, brother!

Woody,

Here's a great opportunity to educate us all.

Try out the GG on some scrap foam-core and balsa and let us know what you think.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Kenn

I recently completed construction of the Fliskits "Decaffeinator" which consisted of styrofoam coffee cups and foam board fins.

I used Loctite Crafters adhesive with was purchased at Walmart for under $3.00. It seemed to be a easy to apply and strong holding power.

I have used it to secure nose weight in a lpr kit, and I believe I have used it with varying success in sealing off a 3x18mm cluster motor mount inside a bt-60 tube.

I also think I used it in my flying pumpkin (not a rocketry warehouse, but a foam rubber michael's pumpkin) I have not had any trouble with it.

_LLS0014.JPG

I started the glueup, I'll report after all sanding/shaping is done and everything is covered in TiteBond II and sanded smooth.
Initial results seam to be very good.
One thing I am concerned with is the strength of the actual foam core.
That may just break away from itself and not at the actual joint.
Time will tell.

UPDATE: This morning I glued up a couple strips. After posting above I thought I would test it. One of them snaped right off, taking a little foam with it like I expected.
The other one had a big glob when I applied a bead of glue, so I spread it out with a popsickle sized craft stick. I could not snap it off with excess force.
I'm guess working the Gorilla Glue into the foam makes all the difference, getting better penetration/adhesion. It also seamed to be bonded to the edge of the paper laminate on the foam, onlike the other one.
It actually says on the bottle of materials that can be bonded, Foam. Little more time will tell a better story, but it is looking very promising at this point.

Last edited:
Back