National Sport Launch 2012

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingarcher

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Updates and new information:

Now on the website:

Range Duty sign-up. If you're attending please fill in some of the remaining slots.

Who's attending. Will be updated as registrations come in.

New Vendors: Fliskits and Doug Pratt

Big flights: Doug Pratt: L3 on a Contrail hybrid. Senior NAR leader rumored to fly his L3 as well.... You may also see a L3 shot by a MARS member with a giant Vega (yes, a 6" Vega) and I might fly a 7.5" Cherokee!

Old News:

When: May 26, 27, 28 2012
Where: Geneseo, NY at the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group airfield
Hosted by: MARS #136
What: Inexpensive fun at one of the great rocket fields on the East coast. $30 for three days! Plenty of local attractions for the family. Town of Geneseo just a mile from the field, Rochester is 25 minutes away. Field supports micromax thru M. 9,000 AGL waiver.

Pre-registration open and T-shirt sales open- sign up for both with one easy payment.

I want to come!
Get thee to the website: www.nsl2012.org for all the details and registration

What will you be flying at NSL?

Last edited:
New vendor added:

R&R Model Aircraft: Manufacturer of the Delta Star, Gamma Star and new Switchblade R/C rocket gliders. They will be available for purchase and demos will be done at NSL 2012.

If you haven't seen the Delta and Gamma fly, you're in for a treat. The Switchblade makes RC rocket gliders..... EASY.

N

ROCKETS and as many as I can:D

I will be bringing my
Wildman Darkstar aka Apollo X (if it survives RedGlare), modded to fly on 75mm motors

7.5" big daddy If AT gets the K456DM "DarkMatter" loads certified by then that will be the motor.

Possible first flight of my L3 "FUBO"

HAGburger...HAGburger...HAGburger.

I'm thinking of putting a $100 bill in my Blackawk29, stuffing an I200 in there as well. 5..4..3..2..1...Fetch Nat - Fetch!

Seriously, I am truly excited and looking forward to being back up in Geneseo with the folks who understand that this stuff is supposed to be fun.

I am thinking...

Nike Lowrider
Velociraptor
Wocket
Quantum Leap (if I get it fixed)
Que$tionable Inve$tment
More Cowbells

And whatever else I can fit in the trailer.

I wonder how many DUMAS brothers will be there.

Last edited:
This is what I want to fly:
  • My Public Missiles Endeavour with a nice 54mm longburn engine
    LOC Nuke Pro Maxx - If I get my L2, I'll fly it on a J530 Skidmark
    Aerotech Mustang with an H163
    Plus some smaller clusters and some old Estes rockets

Latest news:

Time is running out for T-shirt pre-orders. You must place your shirt order by Thursday April 26. There will be a limited number of shirts available at the field but there will be no guaranteed size availability.

The Red Roof Inn hotel room rate/block will expire on May 9. If you are planning to attend but have not reserved a room...... what are you waiting for!?

The Genesee Valley is starting to green up, we'll be flying rockets soon!

Nat

I love the echos of the J-M rocket engines as they roar to the skies in the Genesee Valley.

I live only a mile and half from the field, so I'll be visiting as long as nothing major is happening that weekend. I think a few friends are graduating from RIT but their graduations are Friday night if I'm not mistaken.

Since moving to Geneseo a few months ago, the itch has been growing to get back into rocketry. My other hobby has grown old and without the equipment to enjoy it, it's tough to maintain my enthusiasm. I was Level 2 certified for a while and got my L2 with MARS at Geneseo in '06 I think. After a year or two, I didn't have the time or funds for rockets so I ditched it. I guess you could say it's looking like I'll be a BAR soon!

I am trying to see if I can get everything sorted out for perhaps a L1 cert flight at NSL, but I'm not too optimistic at this point in time. I can always try, though. I think I may also check out the May 12-13 launch if things work out. I am hoping to pick up a new kit as well for a fun flyer... My current rocket is a 3" glass bird which I've flown on I's and J's.

Would like to touch bases and see who all is going.

Rich, you going?

From one 1.5 mile-er to another- definitely stop by the first club launch! Ken with Performance Hobbies will be there, there is a good chance there will be an M flown, should be a good time!

Nat
(Piffard, the other direction)

Quick Update:

Pre-registration and the blocked rooms at the Red Roof Inn will both be closing on May 9th. This will give our crack staff time to process all the registrations, assemble packets, and generally get ready. MARS has a regular club launch this weekend!! We busy! :eyepop:

If you plan to attend all three days and wish to safe some $$, plan to pre-register ASAP. Registration will be available on the field, of course.

See you in Geneseo- soon!

Nat

Weather forecast is AWESOME!!!

Highs in the mid to upper 70's. Lows in high 50's to low 60's.

Partly cloudy to full sun.

Little if any chance of rain.

Gentle breeze of a wind.

Perfect weather.

Dates are conflicting between the website and this thread.

Is it Sat,Sun and Mon or Fri, Sat and Sun?

Just beaing a Dumas (one of the few attending)

Just beaing a Dumas (one of the few attending)

So exactly how dumb will the launch be? The Dumas comedy show is one of the main reasons to attend an event at Geneseo.

Anyone know if there is a good Mexican restaurant within a reasonable drive?

P.S. I think the actual event is Sat/Sun/Mon.

Last edited:
Game-set-match!

Hey you whack job, which Dumas(es) will be there? Just you and DH8 or is Pitchershoes and a few other idjits gonna show up? Anyone bringing the 38mm Snitch?

You can always make a trip to Buffalo and enjoy a Mighty Taco...I don't know if the one in Henrietta/Rochester will be built in time. There is a Chipoltle Grill off I-390 between the Thruway and the 590-split.

Sheesh, Al, are you coming to dine or fly rockets?! There's a place in Henrietta (up 390) that's pretty good, or so I hear. I'll see if I can research it and let you know mebbe on the field.

Of course, in Geneseo, if the Taco Bell offerings don't suit, you shuffle over to the other counter and get KFC. Think anyone gets both? :eyepop: (really need a flatulent smiley)

Anyway- Updates:

Field: MOWED.
Down range crops: Planted, but tiny
Vendors: new addition: LOC Precision will have a smallish presence. Barry says he'll bring whatever he can stuff into his truck.
Certs: There are currently 3 L3 shots scheduled. One will be a Hybrid! One will be the NARPRES!
Set-up: Friday at 9am, if you're interested. We'll hang around till later on Friday afternoon for some of the early birds.

See ya'll there!

Nat

FlisKits should be in the area Friday evening . We have to make a detour to Dan's Crafts in Rochester to drop off an order then settle in for the night . Hope to hit the field bright and early sat morn!

Al Gloer:
Mariachi Mexican Grill
400 Jefferson Rd # 12, Rochester, NY 14623
(585) 424-4411 ‎

Better make a reservation though, yo. Busy area up there especially on the weekends

N

Don't forget to get your orders in early and save some bucks.
amwprox.com coupon code NSL will allow you to fly more.
Need 75mm motors? Drop me a note and we can work on a special.
Robert
[email protected]

Mighty Taco IS open in Henrietta and has been open for about a month, I'd say. Might be a little crowded there Saturday with graduation at RIT, but I think you guys can fit a meal in!

It sounds like thunderstorm outside in Geneseo at the moment. Hopefully the sun comes out!

Of course in this area of NY, barbecue is king, and none is better than Sticky Lips.

Back