G Force (MAX FORCE) build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

Reaction score
Guys,

IM going to try to get this rocket done for ThunderStruck but.. this could be interrupted if my other rockets come in before this one is done so please excuse the possible interruption.

Also.. I have nothing against Aerotech kits but wanted to update this rocket to a 38mm mount. I have also redesigned the fins for a few reasons.

1.. I was concerned I might break them on landing. True they flex.. but we fly in the cold from time to time. I just like wood fins.
2.. I im not a fan of that (up the tube) recessed "taper" fin look on this rocket.

Here is a link to the pictures..

https://cia-rocketry.smugmug.com/Ro...Force/21743295_bXNZSt#!i=1733424953&k=PHxJB3k

Grimracer

I'm looking forward to this build since I'm considering maybe buying this kit or the Sumo for Level 1

Im very sure the Sumo would make a great L1 rocket. I think it uses the same fins at the G Force but I might still use them for you L1 flight.

We have a local dude that has a Sumo and it flys great.

I have more work done but need to get more pics on my pic site.

Grim

Hey Jeff

Great videos. I'm thinking about getting one of those rockets. I know the Sumo is on sale at Hobbylinc for $71 and I think the G-FORCE is like $64. Which rocket do you like best?

RocketManDan - Its a close call try trying to decide which of the two is my favorite. I'll probably lean toward the G-Force, since its just a big gorgeous bird.

I've flown my G-Force about 6 times and only flown the Sumo once. I beefed up the Sumo in the event I try and fly it with a 29mm "H" motor. During the build I used lots of epoxy and JB Weld, epoxy fillets, etc. so its a bit heavier than stock even though I ditched the piston ejection. The Mojave Green engine I used has more kick than the G64 white lightnings and really made for an impressive flight. The camera cut out in the video I posted and missed the apogee, but picked back up for the landing.

I'm actually a bit nervous when I launch either rocket...... I l like them so much I'm afraid of losing or damaging either one! Unlike my ratty old Wart Hog, I always fly that one first (with a single use motor) ever launch outing to check for any nefarious upper level winds.

RocketManDan - Its a close call try trying to decide which of the two is my favorite. I'll probably lean toward the G-Force, since its just a big gorgeous bird.

I've flown my G-Force about 6 times and only flown the Sumo once. I beefed up the Sumo in the event I try and fly it with a 29mm "H" motor. During the build I used lots of epoxy and JB Weld, epoxy fillets, etc. so its a bit heavier than stock even though I ditched the piston ejection. The Mojave Green engine I used has more kick than the G64 white lightnings and really made for an impressive flight. The camera cut out in the video I posted and missed the apogee, but picked back up for the landing.

I'm actually a bit nervous when I launch either rocket...... I l like them so much I'm afraid of losing or damaging either one! Unlike my ratty old Wart Hog, I always fly that one first (with a single use motor) ever launch outing to check for any nefarious upper level winds.

The G-FORCE or Sumo can be flown for Level 1? That's what they are designed for as far as you have that option.

I've flown my G-Force at least 30 times, built completelly stock except. No stainless mesh for ejection gases, (I use Nomex), no motor stop & T-nuts in bottom ring for retension clips. I have flowen on every thing from G-64s thru I-200's. Paint is scratched & some of the fins have a few nicks, but still one of my favorite rockets to fly. Takes a lickin & keeps on flyin.

Mike

I like the G-Force so much I built a 2X upscale for my Level 3, 8" x 120" called it M-Force

It's nice to know that it's capable of such abuse as far as high number flights on some pretty good size motors...

Yep most have been straight & true flights, the trick is if you use the stainless mesh for cooling the ejection charge. You need to change it out every once in a while.

A friend of mine had his clog up & it came in balistic. Still the bottom half survived, new nose & upper tube, it's back flying again.

Here's a photo of my upscale.

IMG_0053 (2).JPG

Mike

Mike

WOW what a great looking rocket!! I'm sold!

When I build it I will just use Nomex and remove the mesh all together and use an AP retainer. I know some people probably complain about the AT kits, but considering how well they go together with little mess and fuss and the price I think you can get a lot of enjoyment from them. Talk about hardly any sanding...and no fancy jig to align the fins...they snap into place!

I was thinking about painting it black and red...I think that would look cool.

I have made some progress. Im going as fast as I can on this as I have more rockets heading my way that need to be built.

This pic shows the rocket with the fillets in place and a first coat of primer. this is just the beginning.. Lots more work to go.

Grim

100_0764.jpg

I have made some progress. Im going as fast as I can on this as I have more rockets heading my way that need to be built.

This pic shows the rocket with the fillets in place and a first coat of primer. this is just the beginning.. Lots more work to go.

Grim

Slow down, take your time. If you don't, you'll wish you did later.

Question for ya Mike. How do you do your fin tapers, do you freehand or have a sanding jig?

I free hand and here is how.

Draw a line (in this case 3/4") the leading edge back. Using my trusty table top belt sander sand in the taper. Sneek up on it and finish by block sanding with 80g..

Then its on to 180g..

Grim

What kind of success have you guys had with paint sticking to the stock nose cone on this kit?

I have a feeling this is not going to go well. Even with all the prep work.

Grimracer

I can't speak for the G-Force, but I have a Mustang and Cheetah that painted with no problem. I used Valspar Plastic primer on the plastics then covered the whole thing (including the primed plastics) with regular valspar primer as a base for color coat.

I free hand and here is how.

Draw a line (in this case 3/4") the leading edge back. Using my trusty table top belt sander sand in the taper. Sneek up on it and finish by block sanding with 80g..

Then its on to 180g..

Grim

Wow, you do some good freehand work! Thanks

What kind of success have you guys had with paint sticking to the stock nose cone on this kit?

I have a feeling this is not going to go well. Even with all the prep work.

Grimracer

Getting paint to stick to any plastic nose cone can be tough, sometimes it seems like it falls off if you look at it funny. What I've found works for me: Fill and sand the seam if that's your thing, then sand the whole thing rough with 120grit. This will leave the entire surface rough and "hairy". With it "hairy", I give it two heavy coats of primer. It looks rather ugly after this, but after that is sanded out with 150 and 220 grit, it looks pretty nice. Proceed to color coats. With the layers of paint all fused together, and the plastic hairs holding it all to the plastic, they hold up pretty well.

All right guys..

I was not all that happy with the name MAX FORCE so after much debate and a old CD.. it came to me.

100_0791.jpg

Tell ya what guys.. when we fly this thing I will strap on a vid cam and we can all take a ride.

Im thinking I357-10

YEE-HAW!

Grimracer

Now we're all lovin life----- I hate those previews-----ummm---just kidding--but can't wait !

Back