Coaster - Centauri Dynasoar Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnNGA

Reaction score
Here's my 2/3 scale Coaster Corp Centauri Dynasoar. It boosts straight up on a B6-2 and will glide nice and flat on a day with no wind, windy days are bad. I plan on adding a little more tail weight or tweak the elevons for a little longer glide.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited by a moderator:
Ace job! I have those plans and look at them from time to time. Very cool to see one built. Looks great. Love the wire nose skid.

Welcome to the Coaster Centauri Dynasoar Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Coaster Centauri Dynasoar and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Coaster: Centauri Dynasoar:
Semroc: Lil' Centauri: KA-17

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Coaster Centauri Dynasoar Basic Information.

coaster_logo%20trf.gif
The Coaster Company

MODEL NAME: https://www.rocketryforum.com/images/galleries/logos/coaster_logo trf.gif Also known as: Centauri

NUMBER:

Introduced: 1959
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Boost Glider
Motor Mount:
Recovery: Glide
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

coaster-centauri%20dynasoar-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I assume the Semroc Lil' Centauri is welcome here as well...

attachment.php

lil-centauri.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Semroc Lil' Centauri (KA-17) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

MODEL NAME: Lil' Centauri Also known as:

NUMBER: KA-17

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer: Carl McLawhorn

Type: Sport, Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 13.2" (33.5 cm)
Diameter: 1.04" (2.6 cm)
Span: 7.4" (18.8 cm)
Weight: 1.6 oz (45.4 g)

Mfg. Description: The Lil’ Centauri™ is the eleventh model in the new Ready-to-Build Series. It is based on a design produced as a plan set by the Coaster Corporation in 1959. The original design was for a radio control boost glider using the large Coaster engines. This downsized version uses the smaller engines making it perfect for small fields, while keeping the classic lines of the early version. This version is not designed to glide, but uses a parachute for its recovery. (Instruction Blurb)

Advertising Liveries

semroc-lil%20centauri%20ka17-2011%20web.jpg
2011 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

semroc-lil%20centauri%20ka17-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

semroc-lil%20centauri%20ka17-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Built but not finished, flown twice, crashed once and signed by Vern Estes.IMG_2267.jpg

Cool!! When, where, how you get it signed? Don't suppose you want to sell it ;)

I was building it for the NARAM 56 Museum of Flight Contest, but ran out of time. My Semroc VF-261 (my avatar) got selected for the museum. On Thursday, my final day of NARAM, most of my rockets had been relegated to the shop for repairs and the only thing that my Lil' Centauri needed for flight was a launch lug and recovery gear, so I got her ready and launched her on a B. The chute got tangled and 2 fins cracked upon landing. I quickly hit the fins with CA and put a C in for my final flight of NARAM 56. Vern Estes was at the range with his Big Bertha as everyone was packing things up for the day so I went over to introduce myself and check out his rocket. He asked me what I was holding and I told him a Semroc Lil' Centauri. I showed him the damage and joked that I did not think it would have quite the longevity of his Big Bertha and he offered to sign it. I know he and Carl of Semroc had been friends so I was honored to let him. My intention for the rocket is to fly it in honor of Carl until I am forced to retire it or The King of Rockets takes it as sacrifice. I would have no idea how to put a price on such a thing, but am pleased that you would also think of it as something precious. PM me if you like.

Here is my version of the Dynasoar Centauri.

Correct size and correct 2” ID tubing, but built much lighter using 6mm Depron foam with a little carbon reinforcement. Radio controlled and flown on a RMS RC E6.

Appears to be the first successful RC version flown. Mine is still a little nose heavy, but flying decently. Will have the CG adjusted for the next flight.

Attachments

• 0B1D3822-F5B3-432F-AC4A-DB6993133762.jpeg
    0B1D3822-F5B3-432F-AC4A-DB6993133762.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 61998325-D18F-401A-A5A7-BF6C9CFB2249.jpeg
    61998325-D18F-401A-A5A7-BF6C9CFB2249.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 7EC351D1-D5A8-4360-B8D5-E33E953122E2.jpeg
    7EC351D1-D5A8-4360-B8D5-E33E953122E2.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 13
Back