Tried this for faster lift offs !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiller

Reaction score
I noted that at my local rocketry club the launch rods were sometimes slightly bent or out of round. Maybe sometimes a little crud build up. I noticed that my launch lugs did not always have the smoothest of glide or fit.
So I started to build the rocket with the next sized up lug . If the plans called for a 1/8 lug I use a 3/16 lug and launch the rocket on the 1/8 rod . Now for safety sake if it is a heavier rocket I do not do this because of possible rod whip . I have noted alot less drag and faster take-offs with no control issues .

I've done this for years and had no problems with it. It sometimes confuses a check in officer - I have been sent to the High power pads to fly my Big Brute on an F because I have 1/2 " lugs on it - I've flown it 100 times or more from a 1/4 " rod with no rod whip or other problems.

PS - Saturday I flew my 20+ years old big bertha and it hung up on a 1/8 " rod because it was gunked up from a day of flying - wouldn't have happened if I had put 3/16" lugs on way back when.

Last edited:
Nice to know I'am not the only one . I have even thought of bringing some 0000 steel wool to shine up the rods from the gunk. I do not think that others flyers would want to wait although .

Bring the steel wool, it only takes seconds and people will just have to understand you don't want your rocket to hang up on a crusty launch rod.

Besides, those that follow will silently thank you for doing it.

When you bring your steel wool, don't forget to also bring a little lightweight oil, and a paper towel for a final quick wipe

Nice to know I'am not the only one . I have even thought of bringing some 0000 steel wool to shine up the rods from the gunk. I do not think that others flyers would want to wait although .

Here's a thought - instead of 'making flyers wait', when you're out there helping to set up the pads before the launch (hint hint) take the steel wool or some 120-220 grit sandpaper to the rod then, when there's no rush. Finish it off with a touch of light multipurpose oil. The launch director (as will everyone else) will thank you!

Leaving a paper towel and a small can of WD-40 at the pads lets everyone do a quick swipe when they're up, as well.

I like GT-85 bicycle chain lube. I think almost everything evaporates and it leaves a teflon film. Well, I use it because it's what I have laying around ;)

Sometimes it's not the rod but the launch lug that's bent out of shape. This is a particular problem with long lugs like the one on the LOC Vulcanite. A slight warp in that puppy and it'll hang up big time. I have one that actually lifted a very heavy launch pad off the ground as it took off.

Rather than steel wool, I use the green scrubbing pads made for scrubbing dishes. I soak some 3 in 1 oil into it, and keep it in a baggie in my range box. I've always been told steel wool, aside from being abrasive, leaves behind small particles which cause rods to rust quicker during storage.

David

I've actually put 1/8 and 3/16 lugs on some rockets to get past club racks that fill up the 1/8 rods and leave 2-3 3/16 rods fallow. No waiting! :)

kj

Latest posts

Back