Home-made Parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again I gotta say great thread. Learning alot about the subject and even have my eye on a few machines on ebay. Not buying yet just watching what prices do. If they go like other items they sit there right until the last minute then wham bidding goes nuts. So just watching for now. Will give the local shops a look and see what they may have. Papers might have a garage sale find also. Got all winter to build so no hurry.

See ya,
Rod

Packing a chute in a small volume when the chute has zero porosity is interesting. It tends to want to trap air and resist packing. I don't know for sure but it may also open a touch slower. Contrast that to packing a chute made of a fabric which breathes a little. Air isn't trapped, and it can be packed down quite small without much effort. I very much prefer the latter!

Gerald

PS - A late reply to an earlier question. I apologize if I missed where it had already been answered.

Last edited:
Zero porosity chutes also have a much higher snatch force than fabric that has a porosity.

Edward

Back